Bertha,

Playin' In The Band,

Loser,

Mr. Charlie,

Cumberland Blues,

Brokedown Palace,

Me And Bobby McGee,

Hard To Handle,

Casey Jones Saint Stephen, Truckin'-> Drums-> The Other One-> Me & My Uncle-> The Other One,

Deal,

Sugar Magnolia,

Morning Dew,

Turn On Your Love Light

:

From Deadbase:

Bertha, Playin, Loser, Mr. Charlie, Cumberland, Brokedown, Bobby McGee, Hard To Handle, Casey Jones

2: St. Stephen, Truckin> Drums> Other One> Me & My Uncle> Other One, Deal, Sugar Magnolia, Morning Dew, Lovelight

That would be the whole concert as listed on dead base.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In light of all these intriguing revelations about the rare dead cuts and splices, here's one for yez.

Mind you, I will have to move and change my identity--again--so listen up good. If you see no more posts from me, well, I took one for the team.

Some months ago there was an E-Bay auction featuring the toilet of one J. Garcia. Said auction produced much ridicule and sarcasm. Little did anyone know that the seat held a pair of microphones, placed there in 1986 by Dan Healy at the request of the Band. Jerry, as you may recall, was busy dying at the time, and the rest of the boys were concerned that the proverbial goose was going to lay a bad egg. So, knowing how Jerry loved to sing on the crapper, and realizing how much the Elvis estate lost by NOT bugging the King's throne, they slipped a couple of mics in there in case Jerry had a sudden onset of creativity. At first, all they could get were the offensive sounds of Mr. Garcia's baritone farts and other less savory noises. But, as time rolled by, they began to realize that there was something going on. First, they realized that he was practicing his scales. Then, a snippet of what appeared to be something resembling a possible song emerged. No--that was just the pepperoni "talking." But--wait--yes, it could not be mistaken; the incessant noodling began to form and transform and become--a song!! And what a song it was!!! Simple, yet punchy, with a great hook. Du-du, du-du, du-du, du-du. The beat went on. They sent the tapes to Jeffrey Norman and crew to have them anal yzed and filtered and decoded and screened for diginoise, and the results were sent back.

They could hear the master sing, albeit in a halting grunting manner, as if he were squeezing the very words out:

"Wild Thing, you make my heart sing, you make everything groovy."

And the man who won that auction? Rich beyond his wildest dreams.

Sure to appear on a Rhino bonus cd any day now.

Edited by orchiddoctor

Started to post this in the "solo rock acts you might not have heard of" thread (or something like that), but it didn't feel right. And since it does feature Jerry on it....

David Crosby Billboard link

Article highlights:

"David Crosby's five-decade career will be the subject of the boxed set "Voyage," due Nov. 21 via Rhino. The same day, the label will also release a CD/DVD edition of Crosby's 1971 solo debut, 'If I Could Only Remember My Name.'"

...and a jam with Jerry Garcia, "Kids and Dogs."...."Kids and Dogs" can also be found on the new "If I Could Only Remember My Name," which is offered in a 5.1 Surround Sound mix on the DVD alongside photos and rare video clips."

Well, I WAS a hippie radical freak, indeed. Briefly. Those were the days.

Now I'm just an old fart dreaming of the past!

i can see how radical hippie jazz belongs on a jazz forum.

Oddly enough, when I was in my twenties, MOST of the people my age who got into "Jazz" were refugees from the sixties. This would be mid 70's on, when the "free"/"avante guarde""whatever" thing was happening. Pure improvisation--Art Ensemble, Braxton, Sam Rivers, David Murray--tempered with sweet melodies--or not. That's why I still have a fondness for the Dead--they opened my ears up to other realms and possibilities of music. A lot of Black musicians quietly bemoaned the fact that the majority of the audience were white kids from the burbs.* But they had grown ears during their hippie years, and their minds had expanded--at least enough to become multicultural receptors.

*Disclaimer. I grew up in Manhattan. That made the ride downtown shorter. :w

Edited by orchiddoctor

Well, I was into jazz before I was into the Dead. But Dead staples such as "Morning Dew" and "Stella Blue" and "Half-Step Mississippi Uptown Toodle-Oo" seemed unlike a lot of other rock songs I'd heard and had jazziness to them. (I remember more than once playing "Morning Dew" and "I Thought About You" by Miles back to back!) Then not long after the records got into my rotation I saw the Dead a few times, and they weren't like any other rock band I'd seen, and seemed to have more group inteaction and be more dedicated to improvising, again something of jazz in their work. . . .

But I fell out of listening and seeing them in the eighties; the last time I saw them was in Cleveland in 1980. . . I was shocked the Godchauxs weren't there and Brent was. . . . I'm glad I've rediscoverd them now. This year their music has been a big help to me. Positive, different, varied.

Noit for the first time I am with Orchid here, first the Dead and then a looooong fruitless search forsomething else that could sustain my interest over time and be played back to back with Live Dead, then Miles Bitches, Ayler, Sun Ra-and never looked back. Still dig the Dead, 67-72 lots!

And I still dig the Ra and the Art Ensemble and can hear John McLaughlin on Miles' "Right Off" clear as a bell.

now playing

10-14-1980 Warfield Theater, San Francisco.

Still can't get out of the Brent Years. .

Still can't get into the Brent years. But that's what makes the Dead so great over their thirty year tenure--the ability to grow and change and gain new audiences who appreciate whatever they were into at the time.

Every so often, a new wave of DeadHeads would emerge, and the band at that point in time would be THEIR Dead. I think that Brent certainly gave them one well needed kick in the ass and brought them out of the lethargy of late 78-79; I just don't like the slower paced meandering.

Well, you have a number of options of standalone cd recorders that act almost the same as cassette decks recording to cdr. . . .

I thought the Terapin models (which are geared towards converting VHS tapes to Video cdrs but I'm pretty sure they all do cassette audio to cdr) would be a nice funny response. I don't have any experience with them, and I'm not sure that they are still made; i mostly have seen them on ebay going at lowish prices.

I myself use an HHB Burnit Pro model now, a very nice machine that allows one to use regular PC blanks (a lot of the standalones use Audio cdrs which generally cost more) and allows a lot of level adjustment, fade in and out, etc. Not cheap, but my experience is that cheap machines don't last long at all.

Now of course you can also rn an audio in to your pc and record that way. THAT is something I haven't ever done, but it's not rocket science. (Doesn't mean I'd ever get it off the ground, but I know you could!)