The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I noticed a way in the back door to the MP3s of gdlive, and have been taking advantage of that.

This is artwork from Germany for one of those MP3 shows. There's a lot of resources out there for Deadheads!

Care to share that secret way in?

Go to gdlive.com and look on the left of the homepage. Under mp3, click on grateful dead and the whole list appears. Same for shn.

Yes, I noticed a way in the back door to the MP3s of gdlive, and have been taking advantage of that.

This is artwork from Germany for one of those MP3 shows. There's a lot of resources out there for Deadheads!

As Marty Balin might say, "It's no Secret."

Here's a quick link in to the MP3s:

www.gdlive.com/dead

I also heard about gdlive.com a few days ago.It was down for several months. It's too bad that FTP connection is not working to the site.I wouldn't like to download some 66-67 shows by downloading files one by one :(

There are many download managers available that will allow you to grab multiple files using http instead of ftp. If you use Firefox, check out FlashGot used in conjunction with one of the download managers linked on the FlashGot page. I've used Free Download Manager with FlashGot, and they work like a charm.

www.gdlive.com/dead

Thanks! Going in from the homepage resulted in an error, but this lets me right in.

The Mountains > Dark Star on that 4-22-69 show is AWESOME. Would have loved to heard Jerry play that acoutsic jam thing between the two for hours...

When I first heard the Mountains that preceeded the Dark Star from Live/Dead, I felt as if they'd left the best part off the L.P. I guess those were the limitations posed by 22-24 minutes a side. Thank God for cds. Don't have to change the record, don't have to guess what came before or after. Anyone listen to the entire suite that is excerpted in Europe '72?

I also heard about gdlive.com a few days ago.It was down for several months. It's too bad that FTP connection is not working to the site.I wouldn't like to download some 66-67 shows by downloading files one by one :(

There are many download managers available that will allow you to grab multiple files using http instead of ftp. If you use Firefox, check out FlashGot used in conjunction with one of the download managers linked on the FlashGot page. I've used Free Download Manager with FlashGot, and they work like a charm.

After 20 minutes or so after I had posted this,I found solution at shnflac.net's discussion board.I downloaded a plugin called DownThemAll for Mozilla Firefox.Now I just need to click on directory and select the folder where I want to save the files and it works like charm!

I've already downloaded 3 1966 shows and two 1967 shows.I definitely need to buy 300-400 empty cdrs... :)

www.gdlive.com/dead

Thanks! Going in from the homepage resulted in an error, but this lets me right in.

The Mountains > Dark Star on that 4-22-69 show is AWESOME. Would have loved to heard Jerry play that acoutsic jam thing between the two for hours...

4-22-69 is a helluva show! I also have 4-21-69 and 4-23-69 and they are also excellent!

After 20 minutes or so after I had posted this,I found solution at shnflac.net's discussion board.I downloaded a plugin called DownThemAll for Mozilla Firefox.Now I just need to click on directory and select the folder where I want to save the files and it works like charm!

I've already downloaded 3 1966 shows and two 1967 shows.I definitely need to buy 300-400 empty cdrs... :)

External hard drives have gotten so cheap now that it's become very tempting to just forget about recordable media entirely as an archival solution, and just move your SHN/FLAC/audio format of choice files to one or more hard drives that can be swapped out as quickly as plugging in a new USB device. Western Digital has 250-500GB external drives available for roughly $175-250, and with hard drives you don't have to worry about a scratched or otherwise suddenly unplayable CD-R so long as you do regular backups of all your data.

I have to admit I used to be skeptical about hard drives as a primary method of music file storage, but after seeing a friend's simple setup with 3 of these WD external drives, and the absolute ease of use compared to swapping out CD-Rs, I was convinced. Now I just need to get a sufficiently large drive - could've probably bought one with what I spent on the Concord sale... :ph34r:

I definitely can see the advantage (especially as many Dead shows as I've burned to cdr in the last few months) but. . . . I still like to have the disc as backup and I have great fun designing paperwork and cutting and inserting. . . I find it really relaxing to do this.

I definitely can see the advantage (especially as many Dead shows as I've burned to cdr in the last few months) but. . . . I still like to have the disc as backup and I have great fun designing paperwork and cutting and inserting. . . I find it really relaxing to do this.

Remind Lon to show you all them gold stars he used to get waaaaaaaaaay back when. :P

External hard drives have gotten so cheap now that it's become very tempting to just forget about recordable media entirely as an archival solution, and just move your SHN/FLAC/audio format of choice files to one or more hard drives that can be swapped out as quickly as plugging in a new USB device. Western Digital has 250-500GB external drives available for roughly $175-250, and with hard drives you don't have to worry about a scratched or otherwise suddenly unplayable CD-R so long as you do regular backups of all your data.

I have to admit I used to be skeptical about hard drives as a primary method of music file storage, but after seeing a friend's simple setup with 3 of these WD external drives, and the absolute ease of use compared to swapping out CD-Rs, I was convinced. Now I just need to get a sufficiently large drive - could've probably bought one with what I spent on the Concord sale... :ph34r:

I've thought of buying an external HD (USB) but I love to burn those shows on CDRS and place them in my storage shelf.

On the other hand those copies take lot's of space and I have only a very small listening environment.Maybe I'll buy the external HD when I run out of space in this room.

I've thought of buying an external HD (USB) but I love to burn those shows on CDRS and place them in my storage shelf.

On the other hand those copies take lot's of space and I have only a very small listening environment.Maybe I'll buy the external HD when I run out of space in this room.

check out buy.com for externals-they have good deals all the time. I just bought an IOmega 250 gig external for about $100 total.

Listening to DP 36. Man oh man this is a POWERFUL one. 1972 had some insanely good performances.

DECD295.jpg

Keith really gave the band a shot in the arm in 1971 and 1972.

There are 3 Picks from Sept. '72 and they could still do more from that month & year without complaints from me. If their tapes are in good baking shape or better, 9/28 deserves it. Something could be done with the Waterbury (23rd & 24th) too, make it a comp just to piss of the completists. :g Oh what am I saying, maybe Rhino will start selling harddrives with "pick your tours" in a few years (do you want the Stealie or Roses design?) Think of what you'll save with shelf space.

Edited by Quincy

Why not? There are many "complete" live boxes for other artists out there. Mind you, I don't really NEED to hear a dozen Me and My Uncles, but it would be fun to have the complete shows mixed and fixed. All those Playing in the Bands and Good Lovins and Cautions and Dark Stars and . . . . .

10,000 copies?

Make it 15,000.

Doc Orch knows this, but I got my hands on a wonderfully priced copy of "The Deadhead's Taping Compendium Volume One" and have been just floored by the wealth of information and the "relics" in this hefty book. This goes from the beginning up into 1974 and is just fascinating. Half.com and Amazon.com have copies that won't set you back more than 20 dollars total (right now at least) and it's well worth that price!

Make it 15,000.

Doc Orch knows this, but I got my hands on a wonderfully priced copy of "The Deadhead's Taping Compendium Volume One" and have been just floored by the wealth of information and the "relics" in this hefty book. This goes from the beginning up into 1974 and is just fascinating. Half.com and Amazon.com have copies that won't set you back more than 20 dollars total (right now at least) and it's well worth that price!

I have all 3 Compendiums along w/ the last two editions of Deadbase. The Deadbase's, while they have been largely made obsolete by online sites, are great. Wanna know when the first version of (insert song here) was played? Or how many times it was played or how many shows since it was last played, etc, etc. ???? You'll find the answer here. The Compendiums are great too but they tend to be just a tad bit hyperbolic. The 10 pages on 8/27/72 are WAY over the top. A great show to be sure but there are many from the next month, as some of have noted in previous posts, that are more deserving, IMHO. When I first got heavily into collecting shows on CDR in the late 90's the Compendiums where a great wellspring of information. However, I think the reviews in Deadbase are more on the money. YMMV.

Point well taken I bet; I haven't gotten that far into the book yet. I don't really take stock in reviews. . . .I draw my own conclusion, I use them for information and for entertaining reading at best. But there's lots of very interesting information in this volume, iniformation that I, not a taper before, find engrossing.

It's easy to criticize the critics--I do it all the time. But I agree with Chalupa that the choice of a few shows for prolongued treatment can be hazardous to your health. Still, it's interesting to read the history and insight this adds to the review.

My bone to pick is that with so many different critics, how can you get a sense for their personal likes and dislikes OR their ability to criticise a work? How steeped in the Dead are they? And then there are those who love certain eras and don't like others. Would you want me to review shows in the eighties and nineties? I think not. I don't like their style post 1974.

But they have Brian Dykes review the bulk of the spring '71 shows. His attitude is clear: he thinks spring '71 is their weakest period! Naturally, he doesn't care for much.

Still, indispensible. I could not do a better job.

Of course, there are also the good opinions posted here :cool: