jazzbo

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The latest Roadtrips is 5-15-70. 3 "regular" discs this time plus the usual "act now for the bonus."

Some prime Pig on here for the fans. This has long circulated w/ the New Riders sets too. It traded as 6 discs and I think the massive size kept me from digging into it compared to other shows of the era. (I know one doesn't have to play entire shows and I often don't, but for some reason it was intimidating to pick 1 of 6. I'd usually pop in the Dick's Pick instead.) While May '77 is famous, May '70 is no slouch either. :)

Edited by Quincy

The latest Roadtrips is 5-15-70. 3 "regular" discs this time plus the usual "act now for the bonus."

Some prime Pig on here for the fans. This has long circulated w/ the New Riders sets too. It traded as 6 discs and I think the massive size kept me from digging into it compared to other shows of the era. (I know one doesn't have to play entire shows and I often don't, but for some reason it was intimidating to pick 1 of 6. I'd usually pop in the Dick's Pick instead.) While May '77 is famous, May '70 is no slouch either. :)

WOW, One of my all time top 5 shows! I am assuming the first disc is the acoustic set. With the 6/18/74 RT release from last year and this one now coming out that would only leave 5/8/77 as one of those all time favorite shows I always wanted to get a official release and remaster.

Damn it, I was going to take a break on spending money on music this summer but this is a must have for me. Thanks for the tip.

Mickey Hart is with the band on 5-15-70 (he wouldn't leave until early '71, then returns for the last night at Winterland '74.)

Also there were 2 shows on 5-15-70, so this set is not complete.

Finally the bonus disc includes material from 5-14-70 Kirkwood MO. Pretty funky scheduling there boys. :)

If one is allergic to pork there are some acoustic songs that might appeal, and The Other One and surrounding songs is a great slab of music.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Wallace

I must have over a 1000 GD concerts on cassette.

But I dont really rate the band.

How so?

Well I got the cassette collection FREE off Craigslist (On quality tape and very neatly archived). The guy had it going for over a week and couldnt believe there were no takers, so he ended up giving it to myself (after I told him honestly I dont overmuch care for the band, but I hate to see something like this collection going to the trash or whatever.)

Unlike most, I love the cassette medium and Ive played maybe a hundred of these tapes now. Certain GD periods I dont play at all.

Being foremost a prog/psychhead, there is little in this band to interest me: juggband, blues, country-ish rubbish...ordinary rock. That's not for me.

They did go into a slight prog mode with the Terrapin Station lp, but that was mainly just the title track.

As for GD ever having a PSYCH period, well -and Im sure most will berate me on this - Dark Star and all that is more along the lines of fusion- ramblings than true psych.

Guest Wallace

I listened to a disc of the bootleg "Acid Test" stuff today. Now that was psychedelic.

I assume this is the '66 Sound City Procuctions disc and not the Kesey/Garcia "Electric Koolaid Acid Test".

Whats the tracklist?

I must have over a 1000 GD concerts on cassette.

But I dont really rate the band.

How so?

Well I got the cassette collection FREE off Craigslist (On quality tape and very neatly archived). The guy had it going for over a week and couldnt believe there were no takers, so he ended up giving it to myself (after I told him honestly I dont overmuch care for the band, but I hate to see something like this collection going to the trash or whatever.)

Unlike most, I love the cassette medium and Ive played maybe a hundred of these tapes now. Certain GD periods I dont play at all.

Being foremost a prog/psychhead, there is little in this band to interest me: juggband, blues, country-ish rubbish...ordinary rock. That's not for me.

They did go into a slight prog mode with the Terrapin Station lp, but that was mainly just the title track.

As for GD ever having a PSYCH period, well -and Im sure most will berate me on this - Dark Star and all that is more along the lines of fusion- ramblings than true psych.

Odd it is. Heck - bemusing, too.

The number of people who feel obliged to stop by on this thread to tell us how little they rate the band.

I see a thread about an artist I don't rate or like, or one I or loathe ... I don't read it, let alone post on it.

That's not for you?

Hello!

Goodbye!

:alien:

Edited by kenny weir

Guest Wallace

[i see a thread about an artist I don't rate or like, or one I or loathe ... I don't read it, let alone post on it.

That's not for you?

Whats not for me is over-lauded bands.

Are you Canadian by any chance?

(Canadians are WAAY over-polite.)

Or mayhaps you dont feel strong enough about music to criticize?

If it counts any, my first post on this forum was praise, not censure.

On a tangent: Im rather astounded at the number of posts on this subject considering GD are not a organ band.

Lots of non-organists and non-organ bands talked about here! Jim has kindly set this up as a music discussion band.

There are a number of Dead fans here, and the Dead have a large number of recordings to collect and listen to and discuss, so it doesn't really surprise me. Obviously, I don't feel that the Dead are an over-rated band and I'be been listening to them on and off since the beginning of the 'seventies. So I'm glad there's this thread!

Looking forward to whatever pre-Brent material they reissue next. . . .

[i see a thread about an artist I don't rate or like, or one I or loathe ... I don't read it, let alone post on it.

That's not for you?

Whats not for me is over-lauded bands.

Are you Canadian by any chance?

(Canadians are WAAY over-polite.)

Or mayhaps you dont feel strong enough about music to criticize?

If it counts any, my first post on this forum was praise, not censure.

On a tangent: Im rather astounded at the number of posts on this subject considering GD are not a organ band.

Canadian? Nope.

For me almost all prog rock is "rubbish" - which is why I've never posted on that thread and likely never will.

It's just puzzling in general - why a succession of folks, in the long course of this thread, have felt it necessary to post here, make a stand on such a crap band. :rolleyes:

There's hundreds, thousands of threads on this board that have nuthin' to do with organs. And they WERE and organ band for a very significant part of their history.

Edited by kenny weir

There's hundreds, thousands of threads on this board that have nuthin' to do with organs. And they WERE and organ band for a very significant part of their history.

Absolutely. Pigpen! Gone but not forgotten.

pigpiano.jpg

Keith, Brent, Vince and Bruce (?) on occasion as well.

Edited by jazzbo