Lee Morgan - Tom Cat

Shawn

Well, I've been asleep at the wheel...cause I didn't get this album until just this weekend. For some reason, despite the stellar lineup, I had never gotten the urge to buy this. Boy, was I dumb! :unsure:

Excellent session as far as I'm concerned. The originals are engaging, arrangements are top notch and the performances are inspired (Lee's solo on Twice Around!!!). Dig that trumpet/alto/trombone frontline as well. Plus it's very cool to have Tyner & Blakey playing together.

Opinions on this one? Not released till 1980, any reason (aside from not being The Sidewinder Part 2) that this should have been passed over originally?

Not released till 1980, any reason (aside from not being The Sidewinder Part 2) that this should have been passed over originally?

not as far as I know, you just described the very reason.

killer album, fabulous playing, one of my favourites, if only for the title tune and Rigormortis, to name some extremes.

Not released till 1980, any reason (aside from not being The Sidewinder Part 2) that this should have been passed over originally?

not as far as I know, you just described the very reason.

killer album, fabulous playing, one of my favourites, if only for the title tune and Rigormortis, to name some extremes.

:tup

This was my first Morgan lead date.

Is this title due for the RVG treatment any time soon?

Also, I can somewhat understand the lack of critical enthusiasm, as the "Sidewinder" boogaloo-type piece really got way overdone. It seems like nearly every post-Sidewinder BN had at least one track like Sidewinder. Not Lee's fault, but the label really went overboard trying to get another funky hit. Lee had far more going for him than that, as he showed before and after Sidewinder.

Actually, it was the "cluttered front line" that had the Penguin guys all bent out of shape, not the obligatory groove number. IMHO Mogie, McLean, and Fuller were never capable of "cluttering" anything.

I have othe rbeefs with those guys, but it's off-topic stuff. Long live AMG!

It's strange how the Penguin Guide under-rates all these fine BN sessions. 'Caddy For Daddy', 'Tomcat', 'Taru', 'Dippin', 'The Turnaround'. None of them come out with half-way decent credit. 'Alligator Boogaloo' in particular takes something of a pounding from these guys.

• 5 years later...

I like the date alright, nothing on it that really grabs me, though.

I just got Delightful-lee in the mail today (monthly yourmusic shipment) and gave it a spin. I like it! Great solos from Joe Henderson, and the Nelson charts come off well. I'm looking forward to picking up more of his 60s sessions.

It was just re-released in 2006. I wonder why they let it go OOP so fast?

Several reasons I think. One, the cd market is in a slump; two, EMI is in a slump; and three, Tom Cat may not have met the minimum sales quota to stay in print. All of this equals deletions. If I recall, Jackie's titles took a pretty bad hit. A real pity. But that's what's going on there, I believe.

Concerning Tom Cat, I don't recall any of the tracks being particularly memorable except for Riggarmortas, which is really a standout track, IMO; its espeically that track that keeps me holding on to this date.