Jackie Paris dies

brownie

Has anyone seen the film 'Tis Autumn - The Search for Jackie Paris? A DVD version is supposed to be released next spring.

My brother saw it at least a year ago (if not longer) when it was making the rounds at film festivals. Being somewhat into jazz but never having heard of Jackie Paris, he said it was a good and interesting film.

Has anyone seen the film 'Tis Autumn - The Search for Jackie Paris? A DVD version is supposed to be released next spring.

My brother saw it at least a year ago (if not longer) when it was making the rounds at film festivals. Being somewhat into jazz but never having heard of Jackie Paris, he said it was a good and interesting film.

Thanks. I look forward to being able to see it on DVD.

• 1 year later...
  • 14 years later...
On 4/11/2010 at 1:05 AM, JSngry said:

I think all of these songs are included on the Brunswick record with a few more as well. With that being said, I completely agree. This is my favourite vocal performance by a large margin. If I could either have this record and destroy all other vocal records or have all the others but lose this I would choose the former. Now I wish that wasn't the case, I have searched, maybe not so long or so far, but I have searched, and I can't find anything that scratches the same itch as this record. Even Jackie's later albums just don't do the same thing as this one. His rhythmic phrasing might have gotten a little more "modern" (for lack of a better word) but I find that his pitch control never reaches the heights of the Brunswick. I also think that his phrasing on the Brunswick is so wonderfully subtle while being much more interesting than the average vocalist. The way he stretches the phrases over bar lines and varies the syllabic stress is just so swinging and intriguing.

2 hours ago, Stevie Mclean said:

I think all of these songs are included on the Brunswick record with a few more as well. With that being said, I completely agree. This is my favourite vocal performance by a large margin.

With all these plugs, it looks like I'll have to watch out for that Brunswick 10-incher to come up in one of the special offer bins.;) (Stranger things have happened around here ...:D)

(See, re- your misgivings in that other ("Reddit") thread, reviving this age-old thread didn't hurt at all ... 😁 and this might indeed lead to a new round of discussions ...)

14 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Oh, I think it was. That's why it's scary good.

And Charlie Shavers just adds to the scare.

Yeah I might have to concede that. I guess in the context of modern music Jackie is just another pimp saying it how it is.

Speaking of rap music, the next time someone excuses rap's lack of harmony/melody by stating that it's a rhythmic art form that should be judged on the basis of rhythm/flow I will play this for them:

love to see them reconcile with the fact that this has better "flow" than the vast majority of new rap music.

I'd add this one to the "scary good" category as well. Maybe Jackie's friend in YMY was make believe too?

Edited by Stevie Mclean

Jackie Paris is awesome. Most current rap stars are not very good rappers, and rely heavily on autotune to mask timing issues, intonation, etc.. Autotune can be used effectively on its own as an instrument, but it is overused.

Kendrick Lamar is pretty damn good, and there are others. I prefer old-school rap and harsh, staccato delivery with complex wordplay. As with any genre of music, there's good and there's bad.

28 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Jackie Paris is awesome. Most current rap stars are not very good rappers, and rely heavily on autotune to mask timing issues, intonation, etc.. Autotune can be used effectively on its own as an instrument, but it is overused.

Kendrick Lamar is pretty damn good, and there are others. I prefer old-school rap and harsh, staccato delivery with complex wordplay. As with any genre of music, there's good and there's bad.

I completely agree. Kendrick has a few songs that have many similarities to that Paris song, but the majority of his music has more hip-hop inspired instrumentation and backing. I can definitely get behind those kind of songs when I am in a certain kind of mood, but I think rap music that uses more jazz inspired, acoustic live instrumentals along with a modern vocal delivery in the vein of Kendrick or Jackie is under-represented. I know that classic hip-hop uses these kind of instrumentals, but the flow is too on the beat with barely any triplets or varied swing ratios or rhythms. 
I come to this perspective as initially a rap listener who discovered jazz and realized that most rap listeners are seriously deprived of high quality musicianship. I now scour the rap Spotify playlists seeking anything that remotely exemplifies that which I can now only find in Jazz. 

Edited by Stevie Mclean

There is a Jackie Paris show from the West End available for streaming from the Phil Schaap Jazz Collection, about an hour long.

West End live broadcast, April 18, 1986, featuring the Jackie Paris Trio. Personnel: Jackie Paris, vocals, guitar, Jim McNeely, piano, Mike Richmond, bass. Set list: [Opening announcements] -- But beautiful -- Indiana -- I have dreamed -- [brief interview] -- Blue bossa -- Detour ahead [end broadcast]. [Test tones at beginning of reel. Recording begins around 1:05.], source::Reel-to-reel

https://aviary.library.vanderbilt.edu/collections/2137/collection_resources/132991?u=t&keywords[]=jackie&keywords[]=paris

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

There is a Jackie Paris show from the West End available for streaming from the Phil Schaap Jazz Collection, about an hour long.

West End live broadcast, April 18, 1986, featuring the Jackie Paris Trio. Personnel: Jackie Paris, vocals, guitar, Jim McNeely, piano, Mike Richmond, bass. Set list: [Opening announcements] -- But beautiful -- Indiana -- I have dreamed -- [brief interview] -- Blue bossa -- Detour ahead [end broadcast]. [Test tones at beginning of reel. Recording begins around 1:05.], source::Reel-to-reel

https://aviary.library.vanderbilt.edu/collections/2137/collection_resources/132991?u=t&keywords[]=jackie&keywords[]=paris

Thanks for the heads up. Great stuff.