Euro 2004

Another lacklustre game yesterday. Not as bad as the France game, but still not much to look at.

These guys just do't play to win. Where are the balls? [!]

Imo the penalty shootouts are not what the game is about at all. I'd rather they either continue playing till someone scores or replay the game the next day.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Marcus (marcoliv), he must feel terrible now.

Merci mon cher Claude :)

the truth is (and it has been said here before), the life of a french fanatic on football is based on disappointments. i was almost sure that whe had left in the last century our incredible capacity to loose stupid football games...i was wrong....

it is time now to rebuild the national squad as the qualiyings for WC2006 are coming very fast.

my only wish now for the Euro2004 is to not have Portugal as the champions.

i think we will have a delightful game today and it's 50-50 for both teams.

Marcus

ps: everybody knows that my english is poor so i apologize for my "british" mistake :)

Another lacklustre game yesterday. Not as bad as the France game, but still not much to look at.

I agree, but don't forget they had to play in temperatures that exceeded 90F / 33C, which is pretty tough for players who aren't used to that kind of heat.

Imo the penalty shootouts are not what the game is about at all. I'd rather they either continue playing till someone scores or replay the game the next day.

You're right, but I don't think there would be room for your alternates in the tight tournament schedule. Besides, the opponent in the next round that wouldn't have had to play so much extra time would have a huge (physical) advantage, which wouldn't be fair either in my opinion.

Edited by J.A.W.

So the game has finally been opened. Still the Czechs depend on defensive mistakes too much for my taste. It took them damn long to put something together for real. Now the Danes are over-eager and make too many little mistakes, also in their attacks.

overall a sloppy game with 15 hot minutes filled with goals, not really reflective of the game thus far. They deserve to win, but I had expected more from the Czechs.

So the game has finally been opened. Still the Czechs depend on defensive mistakes too much for my taste. It took them damn long to put something together for real. Now the Danes are over-eager and make too many little mistakes, also in their attacks.

overall a sloppy game with 15 hot minutes filled with goals, not really reflective of the game thus far. They deserve to win, but I had expected more from the Czechs.

Apparently no team is capable of playing nothing but excellent football... ;)

Seriously, your assessment is spot-on.

The Czechs are still top-favourites though, at least in my opinion.

the 3-0 is a huge exaggeration of the actual proportions displayed during the game.

Greece can be a damn tough opponent as they have shown a concrete defense until now. The Czechs will have to break it open themselves, which will be something to watch. Though I would be very surprised if they would not be able to win that game, they are not in the finals yet.

Thank god for the Czechs. 4 games - 4 wins.

That's the way football is meant to be played.

They're the best team in the championship so far.

Well, not the best team overall, but they make the best out of a chance to score one! These goals were beautiful.

Brownie wanted goals - I'm glad he finally got some!

Thank god for the Czechs. 4 games - 4 wins.

That's the way football is meant to be played.

They're the best team in the championship so far.

Well, not the best team overall

How so?

They won all 4 of their games, 3 of them coming from behind.

They scored 10 goals in 4 games and gave up only 4.

They have the best scorer of the championship so far.

If that doesn't make them the best team in the cup so far I do't know what does.

i think they are the best team too and most overall they WANT to win this competition

the 2nd goal was superb

my bets for the semifinals:

portugal x netherlands = portugal...but i will support netherlands....

rep.czech x greece = rep.czech

hopefully we´ll have some attacking football on both games

Marcus

Looking forward to enjoy the first semifinal match Portugal vs. Holland later this evening. This really should be a good one!

I'm favoring the Portuguese team because they're playing on home ground but I wouldn't mind the Dutch team going into the final (against the Czech!!

I don't know why, but I feel an affinity for the Dutch team and would like to seem them come through. If Figo keeps-up (!) his form, this should not prove to be a big problem. Of course, C. Ronaldo can always come up with a surprise run, but he doesn't look good at finishing off such runs with a goal.