Revenant is planning big Albert Ayler box

Patrick who runs the fantastic Ayler site posted this on the Coltrane List comparing the box's track listing to that of the Ayler tree .

Theres also some very interesting comments about another potential Ayler box

Ayler Tree Disc 1:

Track 1: The Cecil Taylor session is in the Revenant box.

Track 2 - 6: The second set from the Cellar Cafe is in the box. This was

previously issued on the double CD, 'Albert Smiles With Sunny' and was

always a bit dubious since the first CD was taken up with the same material

as on the ESP disc, 'Prophecy'. The tapes for 'Albert Smiles' came from

Sunny Murray and because of legal problems I don't think there was any way

the entire set would be issued again in double CD form, so Revenant were

justified in adding this to the box.

Track 3: The alternate take from 'Spiritual Unity'. Not in the box. This

will be in the hands of Bernard Stollman at ESP. I know that Revenant had

major problems with Stollman during the preparation for the box and that

Stollman himself was responsible for blocking the DVD of the Ayler Fondation

Maeght film after the F.M. had given their permission for its inclusion.

I'll get back to that later.

Ayler Tree Disc 2:

Tracks 1 - 5: The September 3rd Copenhagen tape. This is probably the most

controversial item in the box. I was surprised by its inclusion since Ayler

Records had done such a good job with their 'Copenhagen Tapes' CD. I know

that the box was in preparation for a while so it could be that Revenant

secured the tape before 'The Copenhagen Tapes' came out. I asked Dean

Blackwood of Revenant about it and he said he felt the box needed an example

of the Don Cherry quartet to complete the chronological/historical element

of the project, which makes sense. As far as I know there's nothing else

available of that quartet they could have used.

Tracks 6 - 8: The September 10th Copenhagen tape. These are not in the box,

but they are on 'The Copenhagen Tapes' CD.

Track 9: Archie Shepp interview about Ayler - not in the box.

Ayler Tree Disc 3:

Track 1: Burton Greene Quintet at Slugs' - this is in the box.

Track 2: Burton Greene Quintet at Slugs' - there was some doubt as to

whether Ayler is actually playing on this track so Revenant didn't use it.

Who raised the doubt I don't know but Steve Tintweiss was involved with the

box so he may have cast doubts on this track. Considering the amount of

research that went into the Revenant project I'm not going to argue with

them.

Ayler Tree, Disc 3:

Track 3: 'Holy Ghost' is 'Truth Is Marching In' from 'Live at Slug's'

Track 4: 'Infinite Spirit' is 'Our Prayer' from 'Live at Slug's'

Track 5: 'Alpha/Bells' is 'Bells'from 'Live at Slug's'

Personnel: D. Ayler (t),A. Ayler (ts), Michel Samson (v),Lewis Worrell (b), Ronald Shannon Jackson (d).

Slugs' Saloon, 5/1/66.

Ayler Tree Disc 4:

Tracks 1 - 4: The Berlin Jazz Festival. This is in the box.

Tracks 5 - 7: Stockholm 1966. Not in the box, but see above.

Track 8: Don Cherry interview. Not in the box.

Ayler Tree Disc 5:

Tracks 1 - 5: Copenhagen 1966. Not in the box.

Tracks 6 - 8: Newport Jazz Festival. In the box.

Track 9: Coltrane's funeral. In the box. (Sorry that seems a tad

disrespectful.)

Ayler Tree Disc 6:

Tracks 1 - 7: Fondation Maeght first concert. Not in the box. I've always

assumed that this is a straight copy of the Italian BluJazz bootleg since

the titles match. Dean Blackwood told me that he kept away from the F.M.

material because of legal problems and only included Steve Tintweiss' tape

of the free concert that Ayler gave at the tourist village after the

official F.M. concerts. I think the 'legal problems' came down to Bernard

Stollman again since ESP are releasing these tracks in November as 'Maeght

Foundation'. By the way I think someone said that these tracks were on the

'Fondation Maeght' CD on the Water label - they aren't. The Water release is

the original 2 volume Shandar LP taken from the second concert at the F.M.

Ayler Tree Disc 7:

Tracks 1 - 7: Fondation Maeght first concert. Same as above but retitled and

taken from a radio broadcast which is probably the original source for the

BluJazz bootleg. So, not in the box, but coming out on ESP.

Tracks 8 - 9: Fondation Maeght second concert. Not in the box. The first

track is not on the Shandar/Water release but the full version of the second

track 'Holy Family' is.

Track 10: The airport tape. In the box. Tucked away at the end of the Don

Cherry interview.

Ayler Tree Discs 8 - 11:

Various interviews, not in the box.

So, apart from the interviews and the BluJazz bootleg (which is coming out

next month on ESP), the main pieces in the tree which are not in the box are

the three sessions of the '66 band (unknown location, Copenhagen and

Stockholm). Which brings me back to Mr. Stollman. There was an article about

Ayler in Magnet magazine which contained the following snippet:

"ESP has plans for its own Ayler boxed set, which should be out by the end

of the year. Though many details are still unconfirmed, the release will

compile Ayler’s ESP catalog and material from his first two tours of

Europe."

Now whether this is Mr. Stollman testing the water or whether he does indeed

intend to produce a box set, I don't know. If so, it could be that the '66

tracks from the tree (not in the Revenant box) could end up released by ESP.

But that's just speculation on my part. The only thing which does make me

think that Mr. Stollman could be serious about an ESP box is the fact that

he holds the key to getting the F.M. film of Ayler released as a DVD. If he

manages to put that in his box then, as the man says, I'd buy that for a

dollar.

Hope that hasn't confused matters further.

Patrick Regan

www.ayler.supanet.com

http://ayler0.tripod.com (mirror site - I've been having bandwidth problems

since the box set came out.)

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a review in The Saturday Review. ca. 1965(?), of the Fantasy issue of MY NAME IS ALBERT AYLER, where the reviewer (forget who he was, but it was a "name", possibly Martin Williams? - anybody who can find it, please post) noted that his first reaction was to wonder if Ayler could even play the instrument. He then noted that further listenings revealed that there were moments of seeming ineptitude mixed with moments of high-level virtuosity. The sentence from the review that I (almost) remember is, "it becomes apparent that Albert Ayler is a very, very good saxophone player."

Yeah, it was Martin Williams in 65. The review's in Jazz Heritage. He actually just has one "very", but you've certainly got the sentiment right. I don't think Ratliff's really listened to the box, not really. My literary ear is hearing an equal mix of prejudice and received wisdom filtered through pumped up ego.

At least Williams was honest when he didn't like the music.

Simon Weil

(...)

Which brings me back to Mr. Stollman. There was an article about Ayler in Magnet magazine which contained the following snippet:

"ESP has plans for its own Ayler boxed set, which should be out by the end of the year. Though many details are still unconfirmed, the release will compile Ayler’s ESP catalog and material from his first two tours of Europe."

Now whether this is Mr. Stollman testing the water or whether he does indeed intend to produce a box set, I don't know. If so, it could be that the '66 tracks from the tree (not in the Revenant box) could end up released by ESP. But that's just speculation on my part. The only thing which does make me think that Mr. Stollman could be serious about an ESP box is the fact that he holds the key to getting the F.M. film of Ayler released as a DVD. If he manages to put that in his box then, as the man says, I'd buy that for a dollar.

I sent an e-mail to ESP around one week ago asking about this rumored set. Response? No response. :angry:

I've finally had a chance to go through this incredible box. The Cellar Cafe and Copenhagen recordings are fantastic, but they were not new to me. I got the most new charge by far from discs 6 and 7. Newport, the Coltrane Funeral, the New York concert, the France concert. Fabulous stuff!

On the other hand, I have to say that the huge amount of live material from Cleveland with Don Ayler and Michel Sampson was overkill for me. I usually have a hard time staying with this band for too long. Spirits Rejoice and the Village concerts on Impulse give me my fill.

The New York Times' review of the 'Holy Ghost' box.

October 24, 2004

MADE HIM WANNA HOLLER

By Ben Ratliff

...As much as he loved Sonny Rollins and Charlie Parker, he apparently had no desire to learn how to improvise through chord changes, the most basic obligation of a jazz saxophonist.

So his songs, and his improvisations, finally tended to use basic, major-triad harmony. Anthems, hymns and marches often use major triads, too, and thereby he cracked a secret: he figured out a way to make music that sounded ancient and somehow inevitable.

Excuse the language, but that's pure bullshit. This is the best the New York Times can do? :angry:

My impression from listening to the first session on "Holy Ghost" (where Ayler does "Sonnymoon for Two" was that HE COULD play changes, but that he really had other improvsation priorities. Kind of like Cheney and Viet Nam. No really: Ayler could play his ass off and, more importantly, was a true innovator. Why should he restrict himself to playing standards when there were other people playing standards that were more dedicated to that direction. From the beginning, like Ornette, he was more concerned with doing his own thing. I personally think that his best work was with Peacock and Sonny Murray (and Cherry). The later suff is growing on me, though.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Albert Ayler site:

They are akin to buses

No, I shouldn’t use that old line, but hot on the heels of the Revenant set comes another NEW AYLER RECORD! Or, to be precise, a legitimate reissue of an incredibly rare Italian bootleg. As speculated on a few months back, ESP are releasing a CD of the first Fondation Maeght concert - the quartet recording issued as Albert Ayler Quintet 1970 - Live on Blu Jazz (Italy) BJ023CD. According to the ESP site the new CD (available in both traditional stereo CD and 5.1 surround sound DVD-Audio formats) will be released at the end of November under the title Maeght Foundation (ESP 4001/ESP DVD-A 101). If you’re a fan of the original Shandar album, Nuits de la Fondation Maeght, then this is great news since this recording of the July 25th set is comparable in sound quality and music. It also contains Ayler’s final recording of his signature tune, ‘Ghosts’.

From ESP's site:

Artist: Albert Ayler

Title: Maeght Foundation

Label: ESP-Disk

Catalog #: ESP 4001/ESP DVD-A 101

Personnel:

Albert Ayler - tenor saxophone, soprano, museme, vocal

Steve Tintweiss - double bass

Allen Blairman - drums

Mary Maria - vocal

Tracklist:

1. Music is the Healing Force of the Universe - 7:47

2. Birth of Mirth - 10:38

3. Masonic Inborn - 7:18

4. Oh! Love of Life - 9:31

5. Island Harvest - 5:01

6. Heart Love - 5:24

7. Ghosts - 10:53

The long-forgotten, stunning July 25, 1970 live set at the Maeght Foundation. Offered in both traditional stereo CD and 5.1 surround sound DVD-Audio formats.

Preorder today!

Note: This album will ship at the end of November

This was the very first Ayler concert at the Fondation Maeght. I have had and enjoyed that rare Italian 'Made in Germany' Blu Jazz bootleg issue since its release as a bonus CD to the Italian Blu Jazz magazine (is that still being issued?). Sound on that CD was excellent. All 56 minutes 30 seconds of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I heard this in the car today. The only thing I took issue with was the reviewer's end tag of ..."If you're a 'serious' jazz fan, you should listen to and know Ayler's music whether you like it or not."

That's one of the things I don't dig about the jazz community. That you have to know all aspects of jazz in order to be a 'serious' fan. I dig Ayler myself and know his things fairly well, and have the box set now. However, do 'serious' pop fans have to listen to and know Jefferson Starship whether or not they like them?!

We could do with being a little less serious about listening to jazz. After all, it's just music.

Yeah, I heard this in the car today.  The only thing I took issue with was the reviewer's end tag of ..."If you're a 'serious' jazz fan, you should listen to and know Ayler's music whether you like it or not."

That's one of the things I don't dig about the jazz community.  That you have to know all aspects of jazz in order to be a 'serious' fan.  I dig Ayler myself and know his things fairly well, and have the box set now.  However, do 'serious' pop fans have to listen to and know Jefferson Starship whether or not they like them?!

We could do with being a little less serious about listening to jazz.  After all, it's just music.

I couldn´t agree more!

...but any serious jazz aficionado SHOULD listen to and know DUKE ELLINGTON!!! ;)

:g:g:g

Edited by EKE BBB

Yeah, I heard this in the car today.  The only thing I took issue with was the reviewer's end tag of ..."If you're a 'serious' jazz fan, you should listen to and know Ayler's music whether you like it or not."

That's one of the things I don't dig about the jazz community.  That you have to know all aspects of jazz in order to be a 'serious' fan.  I dig Ayler myself and know his things fairly well, and have the box set now.  However, do 'serious' pop fans have to listen to and know Jefferson Starship whether or not they like them?!

We could do with being a little less serious about listening to jazz.  After all, it's just music.

I couldn´t agree more!

...but any serious jazz aficionado SHOULD listen to and know DUKE ELLINGTON!!! ;)

:g:g:g

o.k....i'll agree with that! (oh, and john patton too) ;)

Well, on the one hand, I'm not keen on the moral arm-twisting. But on the other, this all links in to whether you consider Jazz a "serious" music or not - as in:

Look at Anthony Braxton...Because he is a "Black jazz musician", he has difficulty getting his composions played. If he was called "Leonard Bernstein", he would not have such a problem. But he does "jazz" and its not serious music.

Lester Bowie in As Serious As Your Life/Val Wilmer p11

Or:

The general public, I feel, are swayed by a lot of different things. They're persuaded by a lot of different elements around musicians without really understanding what music is supposed to mean. It's a personal thing, it has lot of meaning to it. Music's not a plaything - it's as serious as your life. McCoy Tyner in Wilmer p258

And from Ayler:

My music is the thing that keeps me alive now.

Wilmer p92

"Serious" is an integral part of the music IMHO.

Simon Weil

Edited by Simon Weil

The serious aspect of jazz seems more of a consumer characteristic than an artist one. Anybody who's good at what they do is serious, be it a plumber or a musican, painter, writer, taco bell employee. Joy and self-expression seem to be the goal. Past that, seriousness for seriousness' sake just seems indulgent imho. Dizzy was serious and not all at once. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Our chief announcer just told me that the Ayler box was on "Fresh Air" today.  Anybody else catch this?

Yeah, I even taped it. I wish more radio shows reviewed jazz...it's great when the reviewer can play you clips of what he's talking about. Seriously.

Edited by BruceH

Our chief announcer just told me that the Ayler box was on "Fresh Air" today.  Anybody else catch this?

Yeah, I even taped it. I wish more radio shows reviewed jazz...it's great when the reviewer can play you clips of what he's talking about. Seriously.

WFMT supposedly has such a show in the works. I'm a little bit wary, though... it's being hyped as "in the spirit of Click and Clack." Now, I love Car Talk and all, but somehow that description doesn't exactly infuse me with anticipation.