Recommend a FIRST Steve Lacy purchase

Big Al

As saddened as I am about the loss of Steve Lacy, I can't help but feel an absolute hypocrite, never having a compulsion to actually own anything by him; and yes, I do find it morbid that it's taken his death to spark that interest (actually, it was Elvin's death, and WKCR's playing of tracks from Reflections that piqued my interest. I just filed it away in the back of my mind. I mean, didn't anyone else think he was gonna live forever?)

So anyway, what should be the FIRST purchase? I'm thinking that the aforementioned Reflections oughta do it, and just go from there. But maybe there's something else better out there that would do the trick. I figure you guys possess a wealth of information about Lacy, more so than if I were to search the 'net myself.

And yes, feel free to give me immense amounts of grief for waiting so long to learn about Lacy. :winky:

(Edited for speeling)

Edited by Big Al

STEVE LACY TRIO: "BYE-YA" (FREE LANCE)

Studio recording from 1996 with JOHN BETSCH on drums, JEAN_JACQUES AVENELL on bass & IRENE AEBI On two vocal tracks (not much annoying).

Or:

STEVE LACY - DANIEL HUMAIR - ANTHONY COX: WORK (SKETCH)

Studio recording from 2002. An unusual setting for a marvellous record.

The sound, "state of art" quality is, here, a big plus. One of his very last record.

Or:

STEVE LACY: REFLECTIONS (Prestige/OJC)

Studio recording from 1958 with MAL WALDRON, BUELL NEIDLINGER, ELVIN JONES.

The first record from LACY enterely dedicate to the MONK repetoire and one of his best in this kind of exercice.

Guest Chaney

I don't think you'd be disappointed in owning a copy of Morning Joy (hatOLOGY 556).

Lacy with Steve Potts (alto & soprano saxes); Jean-Jacques Avenel (bass); and Oliver Johnson (drums).

556.jpg

Price of admission? $8.50 from CADENCE or $10.95 (inclusive of shipping) from SQUIDCO.

And yes, feel free to give me immense amounts of grief for waiting so long to learn about Lacy.

Hmm...This is the first that I've even heard of Steve Lacy. I guess I got a bit o catchin' up to do! Makes me wonder how many other great artists are out there that I don't have a clue about! :unsure:

Evidence (OJC) might be a good place to start - Lacy, Don Cherry, Billy Higgins, and the mysterious Carl Brown playing Monk and Ellington compositions.

For solo Lacy, Only Monk (Soul Note) is a good one. Lacy had a true love and affinity for Monk's music, and spent a playing lifetime proving (and improving) that love and affinity.

Thanks for the recs guys. It looks like there's a vast cornucopia of his music out there, so it looks like just about any place will be a good starting point.

I'm looking forward to the WKCR broadcast tomorrow; hopefully, that'll give me a good idea of just how broad his musical spectrum was/is.

(Edited because I can't tell my "tab" button from my "caps lock" button)

Edited by Big Al

I'm a huge fan of "Work" - there he sounds pretty much like he sounded when I heard him live last november (so glad I went there, my first, and sadly turns out my last, chance to see him).

"Morning Joy" is very good, too.

I would rather avoid "Straight Horn" for starters, it's not the best one (though it's certainly not bad).

If you like to hear some solo Lacy, check out the hatOLOGY "Clinkers". It's my only Lacy solo disc so far (I've heard others, more out ones, but this is the only one I actually own).

For a few more recommendations, do a search, there has been some discussion some time ago.

ubu

I would say start with a trio or quartet recording, then a duo, and then go on to hear his solo records (and the rest, some larger ensembles).

I like,

Solo - Clinkers (Hatology)

Duo - Let's Call This...Esteem (w/Mal Waldron on SLAM)

Trio - Work (w/Cox and Humair on Sketch)

Quartet - Morning Joy (w/Potts, Avenel, and Johnson, on Hatology)