over-rated trumpet players

tooter

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, a Clark Terry chorus contains 3 winks, 4 nudges and an occasional whoopie cushion.  It has nothing to do with his "stage presentation/comedy". I was talking about music. Diz occupied a whole different world.

Let me make it clear that I don't put Dizzy and Clark in the same league. Dizzy is my favorite trumpet player, maybe my favorite jazz musician. I just cannot imagine that anyone would rate Terry as overrated. Diz and Miles are almost household names, but only a jazz fan would know about Terry. No way he was overrated. Basie and Ellington, who he both played for, had nothing but praise, and Ellington, in his autobiography, specifically stated that he hoped Terry would someday be recognized for his achievements.

Dennis

BTW, That's one hell of a LP/CD collection in your avatar.

I can tolerate some pretty damn loud, extreme music when it suits my fancy, but in 1997 I had to walk out of an outdoor Maynard Ferguson performance at Lincoln Center because I thought my eardrums were going to get pierced by his high notes (okay--a very slight exaggeration--but it was very unpleasant!).