over-rated trumpet players

tooter

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jury is still out for me in regards to Kenny Dorham.

Kenny Dorham is not only a sorely underrated trumpet player but jazz composer as well. Very expressive and identifiable and the hero of many a young trumpet player that I've met throughout the years. Check out these compositions on a variety of Blue Note and other label CDs:

Tahitian Suite

La Villa

Sao Paulo

Lotus Blossom

Sunrise in Mexico

El Matador

Escapade

Speculate

The Prophet

Short Story

Minor's Holiday

Horn Salute

Great stuff.

:tup

Kenny Dorham is not only a sorely underrated trumpet player but jazz composer as well. Very expressive and identifiable and the hero of many a young trumpet player that I've met throughout the years. Check out these compositions on a variety of Blue Note and other label CDs:

Tahitian Suite

La Villa

Sao Paulo

Lotus Blossom

Sunrise in Mexico

El Matador

Escapade

Speculate

The Prophet

Short Story

Minor's Holiday

Horn Salute

Great stuff.

Thanks for the info Marty. :D

Tahitian Suite

La Villa

Sao Paulo

Lotus Blossom

Sunrise in Mexico

El Matador

Escapade

Speculate

The Prophet

Short Story

Minor's Holiday

Horn Salute

Great stuff.

:tup:tup:tup

I only really know Sandoval's work from after he left Cuba, and I must say that I find it to have all the subtlety of a Peter North ejaculation and none of the entertainment value.

:lol:

Twice in my life I've heard Sandoval without knowing who it was, and both times I thought, "This music sucks!", so I guess I'm with you guys.

Thats a fair statement. The Messidor recordings were an extension of Cuba perhaps transitional. It was after he signed with GRP that he really started to go North.

The other day I was listening to Estrellas de Areito - Los Heroes, from 1979, and Sandoval has some excellent solos.

Thats a fair statement. The Messidor recordings were an extension of Cuba perhaps transitional. It was after he signed with GRP that he really started to go North.

The other day I was listening to Estrellas de Areito - Los Heroes, from 1979, and Sandoval has some excellent solos.

Thanks for the tip Pete.

Hugh Masekela is to me the most overated trumpet player.

In the 6o's at least he was playing jazz, today he playing African pop

and has no more chops, but the name alone still sells.

Hugh Masekela played an engagement at the Caravan of Dreams in Fort Worth in 1989, with a band of mostly African musuicians, that was one of the great concerts I've seen in my life. I was fortunate to see four awesome sets. He's not a trumpeter at the level of Freddie Hubbard or Woody Shaw, but he's a great musician.

re:Wynton. I'm not a convert, but his recent playing at the Ornette Coleman tribute at Merkin Hall was very good.

I think if he adhered more to the New Orleans music he'd be express himself to the fullest.

Very interesting thought! I think I can agree, 'cause that's the music he plays with all his heart and spirit, and playing modern he is more the intellectual type.

I find Freddie Hubbard somewhat overrated, playing superficial stuff at times and too self-indulgent.

Randy Brecker. Very good studio man, but not very original as a soloist.

I think Booker Little is not overrated - he was still very young when he passed, and who knows what wisdom would have made out of his great tone?

Kenny Dorham - couldn't disagree more - probably not to everyone's taste, but one of the greatest.

Agree on Sandoval - too much flash.

Mike - glad you said that about Freddie Hubbard - I agree. I also agree wholeheartedly about Booker Little. The album of the same name, with Tommy Flanagan, is near the top of my desert island disks. He had a technique that was incredible and he used it to the full which is sometimes a path to pyrotechnics for their own sake but not in his case. He stuck to the straight and narrow on that album at least.

Freddie Hubbard's playing in the 1980s, before he ruined his lip, is underrated. Having seen him live on numerous occasions in that era, he was in awesome form.

I've never gotten into Chet Baker...

Yeah, he did record much too much and a little of his "singing" goes a long way. But I would highly recommend the 3 Prestige CDs of his 1965 quintet (LONELY STAR, STAIRWAY TO THE STARS, and ON A MISTY NIGHT) which featured a hard bop group that included George Coleman and Kirk Lightsey. Baker comes off very well and the music is uniformly excellent. Easily my favorite Chet with possibly the addition of BABY BREEZE, a '64 session on Limelight which included Frank Strozier.

Freddie Hubbard's playing in the 1980s, before he ruined his lip, is underrated. Having seen him live on numerous occasions in that era, he was in awesome form.

Yes, the Keystone Bop dates and the Pablo recordings from the early '80s contain some of his best playing.