Guess who I sat next to at the Jackie McLean show

Let me pose this question, which I once heard Gerry Mulligan raise when he was asked about audiences and their behavior (he was referring to talking in the audience while the artist played) .... "Would people do that to Horowitz?" So, are jazz musicians any lesser musical artists, or do they fall into the "entertainer" category, and thus subject to intrusions into their artistic experience?

Garth, the last time Vladimir Horowitz played in Paris in 1985 - his first concert here in several years - the rehearsal at the Theatre des Champs-Elysees was open to the press. It was supposed to be a photo-op of a few minutes.

There was a crowd of about fifty photographers in front of the stage when Horowitz started to play. While the cameras clicked away, the Great Man played not for a few minutes but for more than half and hour. I was there with a photographer who dashed back to our nearby office to move photos around the world.

I handed a print to a journalist friend who was hoping to interview Horowitz shortly later in the very slim chance he would autograph it. It worked.

My son who is studying piano and medicine at the same time (no idea how he manages to do this!) treasures that autographed photo now!

My most embarassing memory as a jazz fan/photographer was when I was positioned right in front of the stage - along with a couple of other photographers - at the 1969 Juan les Pins jazz festival and  taking photos of the great Miles Davis band (with Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Dave Holland and Jack de Johnette). At some point Miles Davis keeps on playing and walks slowly up to where I was and kicks his right foot to indicate I should stop at once.

I did! Picked up my cameras and moved to a less visible place.

Brad Mehldau once stopped during his solo (Rossy & Grenadier played on), and made gestures of hitting the photographer... (that was at a concert around 2001, I think).

ubu

Let me pose this question, which I once heard Gerry Mulligan raise when he was asked about audiences and their behavior (he was referring to talking in the audience while the artist played) .... "Would people do that to Horowitz?" So, are jazz musicians any lesser musical artists, or do they fall into the "entertainer" category, and thus subject to intrusions into their artistic experience?

They weren't playing. Just putting the charts on the music stands.

Guest youmustbe

Mulligan was one to 'talk'! And I mean that. Gerry was a notorius pain in the ass when he would stop by a club. A loud mouth drunk! Talked loud thru the whole set, while the band was playing. Of course, when he was on the stand, he expected everyone to be silent.

One time at Birdland, he was so loud, that Blakey, in the middle of the set, put his sticks down, and while the band kept playing, got off the stand, into the audience, and punched Gerry accross the next table! Then Art got back on the stand, picked up the sticks, and went back into the tune.

Another time, while I'm at it, Max and Buddy got into into it at Birdland and Gerry tried to act as peacemaker. Max turned and knocked Gerry out!! Cold!

Jazz 'Clubs' today should stop the charade that they are places of 'entertainment' and just act like what they are, concert halls that serve food and alcohol.

And some of the old timers, most of them former junkies, should be glad that anyone still cares enough to take their picture.

By the way, for other people who have seen Jackie live in the past few years -- does he ever play "Melody for Melonae"? That's my favorite JM tune, but he hasn't done it the two times I've seen him live.

Guy

That is a great tune. I wish they would have played that one. Still a great show.

Too tired to give a lengthy report - I'll check in on Monday.

The two sets Thursday were absolutely awesome - it was a magical night. Grachan did not play on all tunes (as I suspected), and was late for the first set (which seemed to bug Jackie a bit). He readily admits that he's still working on his chops, but what I really dug was I could still recognize his tone - had I closed my eys, I would have still known it was GM3 and no one else. 'Love And Hate' was beautiful. Hutcherson, as stated above, was astounding.

The second night was somewhat more subdued (Jackie looked a bit tired), but it was still excellent. They played one of my favorite pieces by Rene, 'Naima's Tone Poem'.

Hardbop and Guy, sorry I missed you guys - I was right at the front.

Indeed, the following music industry bigwigs were in attandance:

Michael Cuscuna

Bruce Lundvall (second set only)

Tom Evered

Don Sickler

Richard Seidel

Steve Davis (trombone)

GM3 was even telling Lundvall about his new trio (organ and drums)!

Hardbopjazz,

They announced at the beginning of each set that pictures should not be taken without the permission of Jackie and the club. I think it might be a legal issue. So, as much as I enjoy seeing these memetos of a great two days, it probably would be a good idea to remove the photos - we don't want to get b3-er in trouble.

Bertrand.

Garth, the last time Vladimir Horowitz played in Paris in 1985 - his first concert here in several years - the rehearsal at the Theatre des Champs-Elysees was open to the press. It was supposed to be a photo-op of a few minutes.

There was a crowd of about fifty photographers in front of the stage when Horowitz started to play. While the cameras clicked away, the Great Man played not for a few minutes but for more than half and hour. I was there with a photographer who dashed back to our nearby office to move photos around the world.

I handed a print to a journalist friend who was hoping to interview Horowitz shortly later in the very slim chance he would autograph it. It worked.

My son who is studying piano and medicine at the same time (no idea how he manages to do this!) treasures that autographed photo now!

Great Story Brownie ..... I am sure that photograph will become a very treasured family heirloom...

In the year before he died, at one of the West Coast weekends, I was able to get Gerry Mulligan to autograph one of his first Pacific Jazz 10" albums. I was on the verge of being pushy as his female guardian (whose name I can never remember) tried to shoo me away. He noticed the album, and smiling agreed to do it. I also got Carson Smith to sign the same album .... I was well on my way to trying to find Chico Hamilton, but I was told that Chet Baker was definitely not available to sign autographs!

On a more serious note .... one of the main reasons I stopped going to jazz clubs/bars was the annoyance of patrons who persisted in talking all through the performance, including that of vocalists! That and the cigarette smoke and the overpriced drinks ... I much prefer the concert venue .... No wonder John Lewis had the MJQ wear formal clothes ... he wanted the same respect as classical artists ...

Edited by garthsj

On a more serious note .... one of the main reasons I stopped going to jazz clubs/bars was the annoyance of patrons who persisted in talking all through the performance, including that of vocalists! That and the cigarette smoke and the overpriced drinks ... I much prefer the concert venue .... No wonder John Lewis had the MJQ wear formal clothes ... he wanted the same respect as classical artists ...

You gave some of the reasons I don't go to clubs anymore unless somebody I really want to hear badly appears.

I still have fond memories of those great concerts when the Miles Davis band was playing in formal dresses, also the John Coltrane Quartet (with Tyner, Garrison and Elvin Jones), all in tuxedos!

I was there last night for the second set. I saw some familiar faces.

If Jackie Mclean has chops problems, he sure picked the right trombone player to play the gig. This was my first time seeing Jackie live, but I thought he sounded fantastic. He put together a few really nice runs, his solo on Freddie Freeloader especially. Was it just me or was that tune dedicated to Grachan? Jackie introduced the tune, immediately after Grachan ducked out his own composition, Love and Hate. And now Grachan is going to play for you... Freddie Freeloader. And he left him up there to play the head and a few choruses alone with the rhythm section. I don't think Grachan has much confidence in his playing, whatsoever.

His tone was definitely there when he could hold a note for longer than a quarter measure. He was somewhat recognizable, but nowhere near the shape he was in in 1965. He looked good though. Happy. The girls I was with said he was "soooo cute!" I do hope he gets it together with the organ trio.

Everyone else on the stand sounded fantastic. Hutch! Man oh man. He has not lost a beat. We were sitting on his side of the stage beside the Women's room. It was a real pleasure. Rene was good too. And the rhythm section was fantastic I thought. The pianist saved Grachan's ass on both solos he took last night. Very responsive comping.

Oh my god, don't even get me started about the behavior in jazz clubs. I've been to rowdy metal concerts with better conduct.

I find eating a cheeseburger during a set of music direspectful, gluttunous, and distracting. There is plenty of time and plenty of places to get dinner before or after the set. And I say this as a man who loves to eat. I only get drinks because there's usually a minimum.

As for people talking- why would anybody even put up with that? I don't mind being the guy some table hates because I tell them to shut up. I didn't travel over and hour on the subway or pay over $30 for parking to hear some yenta yap about her dumb kids or shoes or whatever.

The more concerts I attend, the more I'm convinced that most attendees are just there to do something cool. They couldn't care less about the music.

Anyways, pardon the rant...

The Saturday night 10pm set was pretty cool. If McLean and Grachan fought, you couldn't tell on the stage. McLean may not have the same mastery (most older horn players don't), but to me his playing was more about the ideas that he came up with while on stage. If he understands his limitations and still produce a compelling set, that is evolution as an artist in its own way, and I think that is true with him, at least from what I heard last night.

Hutcherson was electrifying- showboated a bit, but a lot of fun. Most importantly, he played with genuine excitement and relish.

The only thing I didn't like was the drummer's solo. Just a lot of crashing and banging.

We were pretty close to the stage, so I heard Jackie call Grachan a few choice words as he repeatedly ducked off the stage. I don't know what the hell he was doing. And I think all the introductions Jackie kept giving Grachan were just a little patronizing. I don't imagine Grachan will be getting many calls based on this gig...