Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - it used to be much more expensive, it seems. The live one can be had on ebay for 300$ or even less nowadays - but I was glad not to have paid the usurious US shipping costs and not to have any transatlantic delivery involved. It got here in less than a week ... and I'm really happy now! I struck lucky with at least one more Mosaic box from Birka, can't find any mails about it, but it was one of the old-timey BNs ... I'm quite well-equipped with those in the meantime, having found vinyl of the Ammons/Lewis and CD of the Bechet, the George Lewis and the Hall/Johnson etc. I would *almost* kill for the Art Hodes though!

I've got the Art Hodes on LP but I'm not selling.. :P

That one wasn't re-done on CD at all, I think.

Probably they didn't expect it to sell...

Btw, how did that work with those sets that were (later?) re-done on CD (with those insert pages with adapted tracklists)? Were they planned from day one and part of the total edition or did the expand the editions in those cases?

Not sure - I wasn't aware that some of the CD versions came out later.

I'm not sure about that - the fact that the booklets only reflect the LP configuration and that there was an additional loose page of paper inserted for the CD versions made me think it may have been like that.

I've got the Art Hodes on LP but I'm not selling.. :P

That one wasn't re-done on CD at all, I think.

Probably they didn't expect it to sell...

The Art Hodes set was limited to 7,500 copies according to the early Mosaic brochures I have.

The 5LP edition sold for $45, the 4CD edition sold for $60. They sold out pretty quickly, it appears.

Wow, that's amazing! 7500 Art Hodes boxes, that's a pretty big edition, wouldn't have expected more than 3500 or 5000 for that one! But then I guess traditional jazz still has a rather broad fanbase ... 60$, damn! I'd pay that for each of the four CDs and still consider that a pretty good price!

Wow, that's amazing! 7500 Art Hodes boxes, that's a pretty big edition, wouldn't have expected more than 3500 or 5000 for that one! But then I guess traditional jazz still has a rather broad fanbase ... 60$, damn! I'd pay that for each of the four CDs and still consider that a pretty good price!

Would the last person to leave ebay please turn out the lights ;)

Playing the Bobby Hackett Mosaic disc 1 at a family brunch. Warm, uncomplicated music......many of these songs I vividly remember hearing on the radio station my parents listened to in the 60's. If a grandchild ever asks me what my parents were like and what it was like growing up then, this is what I would play for them.