Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bechet Select.

Listening to the classic Clarence Williams things here reinforces how I laugh when I hear people talk smack about today's popular music being "limited", like all these songs about mens with three or four main chords and melodies that could be cut-and-pasted at will aren't "limited". shuhyeah.

The good news is that "limited" is not the point. The bad news is that when it comes to popular music, it hardly ever is. When I eat that sandwich, I know full well what is and what's not in it, and I know why that's the sandwich I want to eat.

No matter, I love Sidney Bechet. you talk about presence, the ability to OWN a space, that's him. I can't imagine anybody trying to cut Sidney Bechet, not if they wanted to survive.

Now I'm wondering - did Bechet & Hawk ever play together, on stage or on record?

ParkerMD7129MM.jpg

Charlie Parker - The Complete Dean Benedetti Recordings, disc four. Listening to this set is such an odd experience - sublime Bird solos among mundane playing, fragments that are too short to have much meaning and segments with such poor sound quality that they're practically unlistenable. But that's always been part of the appeal to me - you never when one of Bird's solos will strike you as particularly brilliant.