• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to admit, I've completely fallen out of love with hard bop stuff like this:

0708857900329.jpg

Now that takes me back! I last saw that album in the early 60s, but never heard it. But I did get to see the two hornmen on it - Williams in a package with Thad Jones/Mel Lewis and Leo Wright with a local quartet - both here in Manchester in the late 60s.

Sun-Ra-Sun-Ra-Nuits-de-l-414919.jpg

Sun Ra - Nuits de la Fondation Maeght, Vol. 1 (Recommended). I picked up Recommended's beautifully produced 45 RPM reissue of the original Shandar album about 30 years ago. "The Cosmic Explorer," the synth/organ improvisation that takes up all of side two, is monumental.

"The Cosmic Explorer" is a favorite of mine as well! Both vol.1 and vol.2 of the Maeghts are real great Ra.

The World of Cecil Taylor (Candid, mono)

candid9006.jpg

This is a beautiful and intense album. Love the first song "Air".

Williams in a package with Thad Jones/Mel Lewis and Leo Wright with a local quartet - both here in Manchester in the late 60s.

I remember seeing him on TV in the mid-70s with Clark Terry's Big Bad Band (rare BBC aberation to show jazz) and even recorded it. Still have the C-60 somewhere !

I have to admit, I've completely fallen out of love with hard bop stuff like this:

0708857900329.jpg

Now that takes me back! I last saw that album in the early 60s, but never heard it. But I did get to see the two hornmen on it - Williams in a package with Thad Jones/Mel Lewis and Leo Wright with a local quartet - both here in Manchester in the late 60s.

Yeah, it takes me back too huh.gif It's not the album, which is as good as it gets in that genre, but the type of music. It just doesn't reach me anymore. Like falling out of love. Strange, but there it is.

0708857900329.jpg

Yeah, it takes me back too huh.gif It's not the album, which is as good as it gets in that genre, but the type of music. It just doesn't reach me anymore. Like falling out of love. Strange, but there it is.

I listen to way more hard bop now than I have for the past few years, but I never really got into that LP.

4849751708.jpg

Sun Ra - A Fireside Chat With Lucifer (Saturn)

Particularly nice cover there.

Herbie Hancock 'The Prisoner' (UK Blue Note, orig)

51IZEru3FXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is an interesting one, from 1970. US Liberty/UA heavy-duty jacket with a UK pressing Liberty/UA blue/white LP (Van Gelder in runout). This is the only UK Blue Note of this type that I've ever come across - similar to those German Blue Notes of similar vintage. Best sound quality for this session I've heard (time to ditch the Pathe-Marconi DMM :rolleyes: ).