Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last night:

John Lennon 70th Birthday Tribute in MONO, featuring choice cuts from mono Capitol rainbow label LPs Rubber Soul, Yesterday and Today, Revolver, Beatles VI, Meet the Beatles and The Beatles' Second Album, plus the mono Paperback Writer/Rain single.

NP:

The Piano Scene of Ahmad Jamal - Epic (mono).

Early piano/guitar/bass trio sides.

Michael Hurley: Long Journey (Rounder)

Before I listened to this, I read some words about Michael Hurley's music written by my friend Bill Morrison in 1987. Thought I'd pass them on:

"I guess Michael Hurley fits in with folkies as a genre - he totes a guitar, mostly writes his own tunes, is influenced by blues and country. But there it stops - Hurley needs a bin of his own in the shop, if you ask me. His songs sound like they were pulled together out of spare parts - a little Hank Willians, a little Fats Domino, a little Appalachian fiddle melody, and some other stuff that Hurley machined on his own slightly off-center lathe. His loosest songs resemble the Rustoleum-and-duct-tape jalopies you see on the road in rural Vermont, where Hurley lives - weld together the right spare parts, and you can get something that will run forever, even if it emits some funny rattles and maybe needs a jump-start sometimes. Cars and songs like this elicit a kind of affection that factory-fresh ones will never know.

Hurley's one of the only white folk musicians I've heard who has perfected a guitar sound that doesn't depend on new strings and an expensive Martin guitar, and he's not especially into telling you about himself - after listening to a few Hurley albums, full of deceptively unambitious-sounding songs, you realize that you've got a line on a unique and complete musical world of its own, but you can't say you really know much more about Michael Hurley the man than you did when you started. Fans of the confessional school of songwriting might think this is bad. Me, I think it makes his music more like art and less like mere journalism. And funnier. And more dignified."

Mississippi Blues (United) 1952 sessions by Boyd Gilmore, Charlie Booker, and the mysterious Houston Boines, recorded for the Bihari brothers. Ike Turner is on piano on all the sessions.

Great music! I had the old United/Kent vinyl series back when. Have since gone to the P-Vine & Ace CDs which cleaned up the sound, but there was something to be said about the funkiness of the United/Kent vinyl - went well with the music.

Edited by paul secor