What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Amalia Rodriguez, Sings Fado, Sings Flamenco (Angel 10 inch). The photo of Amalia on the back of the record is by William Savory.

Jazz at the Philharmonic, volume 14 (Mercury 10 inch).

Jimmy Smith, Home Cookin' (Blue Note, Liberty blue and white, RVG)

Gustavo Zepoll--Concert Guitar (Cook, 10 inch)

• Replies 56.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clarence Wheeler & the Enforcers - The love I've been looking for - Atlantic

Picked that one up back in the day for 50p. WH Smiths ! An enjoyable listen.

Yup! Back in the day, this stuff, when you saw it, was dead cheap over here :)

This afternoon

Howlin' Wolf - two Chess double LPs issued by PRT comprising

Moanin' at midnite

Howlin' Wolf

The real folk blues

More real folk blues

then

Sonny Thompson - Cat on the keys - King (Swingtime Denmark)

now

Gene Ludwig - Now's the time - Muse

MG

An interesting documentary recording of clarinetist George Lewis's 1969 funeral: Requiem pour un Roi du Jazz on French Barclay. There are excerpts from the church service (the preacher really works up a head of steam) and the brass band procession, with the Olympia and Eureka Brass Bands. I don't play this one very often because it has an overdubbed narration (in French) that intrudes every time I start enjoying the music. But it's interesting, and at times quite moving.

41Wi4T%2BXVXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Pretty Baby soundtrack (ABC) Although it never seems to be talked about, this is as great a jazz soundtrack as Round Midnight; unfortunately, it's never been issued on CD. It features Kid Thomas Valentine, Louis Cottrell, The New Orleans Ragtime Orchestra, Bob Greene playing Jelly Roll Morton, and even a vocal by James Booker. This beautiful album never fails to touch me, and I would recommend it to anyone who has a turntable and who loves New Orleans jazz.

Picked another bunch of 45s to play this afternoon:

Ollie Collins Jr, The Man With The Golden Voice No need to cry/Without the Lord Songbird

Ollie Collins Jr, The Man With The Golden Voice Im going home/This is my prayer Songbird

The man really has got a great voice.

Sonny Red Stay as sweet as you are/Bluesville Blue Note

A completely trashed record, that looks as if its been played a zillion times, but plays perfectly with no skips; just a bit of surface noise. I suppose I could clean it up, but I really love the idea that both sides of this 45 were played a zillion times on a juke box somewhere in Alabama the ultimate source for this and the Songbirds was a juke box supplier in Birmingham, AL.

Now a bit of seventies funk, with a capital G.

Julius Brockington Jaded Jackie Today

Brockington was a decent, but not original, organist. Theres a wild tenor solo in here, but its a bit short. Fatback Band recorded for the same firm and this is a bit like their early records.

Maceo & the Macks Soul power 74 pts 1 & 2 People

Ive got this on LP and CD, but these two sides come to over 7 minutes, a lot longer than the LP track. Its been so long since I listened to it that Id forgotten that part 1 is an edited down version of part 2. Swiz! Damn fine record, anyway!

Don Wilkerson Low down dirty shame pts 1 & 2 Tomel (Div of Don Wilkerson productions it sez ere)

Don sings and plays this old Joe Turner number nicely. No sleeve notes on the 45, so it might not be him singing but som phrases sound a bit like his backing vocal on "This little girl of mine".

Now one for Jeff

Paul Gayten The hunch/Hot cross buns Anna (Reo Canada)

Do you know this single, Jeff? Made in Detroit in 1959 for the first of Berry Gordys labels. There is a powerful tenor player on it who also played on a Tollie 45 by Moses Davis (who was later with the Counts in Atlanta). Ive wanted to know who he is for ever.

Finally, two old favourites by the great

Willie Mitchell 20-75 Hi (London UK)

Willie Mitchell Robbins' nest Hi (London UK)

and the very easy-listening "Robbins' nest" just reminded me of

Bill Black's Combo - Soft winds - Hi (London UK)

MUCH less easy listening! With a jolly nice baritone sax solo by someone.

Now I'm on to LPs - not forgetting to change the speed :)

Gene Ammons - Nice & Cool/The soulful moods of - Moodsville (Prestige twofer)

MG

Now one for Jeff

Paul Gayten – The hunch/Hot cross buns – Anna (Reo Canada)

Do you know this single, Jeff? Made in Detroit in 1959 for the first of Berry Gordy’s labels. There is a powerful tenor player on it who also played on a Tollie 45 by Moses Davis (who was later with the Counts in Atlanta). I’ve wanted to know who he is for ever.

MG

No, I haven't heard that one, but I loves me some Paul Gayten. Go ahead and send that record to me - still have my address? :rolleyes:

I have a couple of the other 45s you played today, including the Sonny Red. Mine is seemingly in much better condition than yours, but I like the history of your copy.

I have a couple of the other 45s you played today, including the Sonny Red.

Bet you haven't got the Bill Black :D Bet NO ONE on the board has ANY Bill Black :D

MG

No, I haven't heard that one, but I loves me some Paul Gayten. Go ahead and send that record to me - still have my address? :rolleyes:

Might put it on my hard drive and send it to you. Remember, it ain't New Orleans, it's Detroit.

MG

Inspired by this thread:

23226336.jpg?20100903160123

John Surman - Anglo-Sax (Deram) The USA version of his debut album. The picture is the cover I have, down to the ringwear. I have no idea why it says "Jazz Alto" in large type.

This is the first time I have listened to this album since becoming familiar with the original Trinidadian versions of "Obeah Wedding" and "My Pussin" - and what a pleasure it was. "Obeah" has a very strong melody and slightly unusual structure. Of course, the calypso side seem kind of like fun and games once you flip the record over and hear the suite on side two. In any case - great record.

Was just listening to

Dizzy Gillespie - Swing low, sweet Cadillac - Impulse (DMM Germany - but I don't care :))

I was enjoying it so much until I put the Groove Holmes LP I'd been intending to play next back in its sleeve and put on

Dizzy Gillespie - Bahiana - Pablo (Polydor UK)

And I'm enjoying this one so much, I may not go to bed at all!!!

MG

Jazz at the Philharmonic (Stinson 10 inch)

Is that the 1944 concert, with Jacquet, McVea, Cole & co?

MG

Actually, it's Willie Smith, Charlie Ventura, Illinois Jacquet, Howard McGhee, Joe Guy, Red Callendar, Garland Finney (piano) and Ulysses Livingston (drums), on How High the Moon and Lady Be Good. Apparently, the rights to this issue was retained by Stinson Records. I'm not sure if this has subsequently been reissued (I don't have the JATP box set); I've never heard it before.

Jazz at the Philharmonic (Stinson 10 inch)

Is that the 1944 concert, with Jacquet, McVea, Cole & co?

MG

Actually, it's Willie Smith, Charlie Ventura, Illinois Jacquet, Howard McGhee, Joe Guy, Red Callendar, Garland Finney (piano) and Ulysses Livingston (drums), on How High the Moon and Lady Be Good. Apparently, the rights to this issue was retained by Stinson Records. I'm not sure if this has subsequently been reissued (I don't have the JATP box set); I've never heard it before.

I have the 78 RPM album of that session - King Ubu informed me that it is on the box set of early JATP concerts. It was never issued on Mercury/Clef/Norgran/Verve before that.