• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hartmut Geerken / John Tchicai - The Kabul and Teheran Tapes (2 LP; QBICO 87)

Tchicai_Geerken_Kabul_Small.jpg

Evidently this one was released in early 2009, but it is already starting to be a tough find. Does anyone know if the website or label still exists? I think QBICO was run by a fellow named Emanuele Pinotti, if I remember correctly. (I bought a few OOP records from him at auction back in the late '90s, and they were good experiences.) I can't seem to find any information on the web about the label these days.

Qbico is done for with #100.

It is too bad that Qbico has folded. They made some nice records, with a touch of care.

I got this when it came out and I still haven't spun it. Lord knows why... Wouldn't mind hearing those Praxis LPs again, either - it's been ages.

I don't have the Tchicai/Geerken/Moye Praxis LPs, but are there any on Praxis that have not been reissued by Leo Records? I'm just getting a taste of the Qbico LPs today (they arrived on the doorstep this morning), but will be giving them a deep listen this weekend. I can already feel that it jives with the bloodstream. That alone makes this a very good day. Records like this are the best.

Manhattan Jazz All-stars "Guys and Dolls"- Columbia 6 eye- pleasantly swinging , features Phil Woods a bit but Bob Brookmeyer gets space as does Nick Travis, Teddy Charles is the nominal leader

You say "Phil Woods" a bit like it's a bad thing... :huh:

Probably listening to Larry too much ,..... no I'm fine with Woods, his name in a line-up however doesn't quicken my heart in the way Hal McKusick's might but he plays well and gives the rather glossy arrangements a nice bit of behop roughness. The whole album recorded in Oct 1959 is clearly Teo Macero's idea of crowd pleaser- Sketches of Spain it ain't

Edited by Clunky

Keeping with Teo's concept albums from 1959 , built around show tunes ....next up

John Carisi - New Jazz sound of Show Boat Columbia ( 6 eye mono) featuring ... Phil Woods and Bob Brookmeyer with Guitar Choir ( Which includes Barry Galbraith, Jimmy Raney et al)

galbraith_showboat.jpg

Edited by Clunky

Pierre Barouh's label, most sessions produced by Daniel Vallancien (studios also hosted recording sessions for BYG, probably others). I bet brownie could chime in with more info.

I've got some of the easier-to-find Saravah LPs - Fontaine, Steve Lacy, Cohelmec, Jacques Higelin, plus the Trio Camera reissue. Lots of nice stuff, ranging from freaky French folk to free jazz. Have yet to score the J-C Capon LP on the label, or the Nana Vasconcelos solo.

Akendengue is from Gabon; gorgeous, folky Afro-pop.