• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

J. S. Bach - SUITES FOR UNACCOMPAINED CELLO - Janos Starker, Mercury, stereo. (Speakers Corner reissue).

Beyond the Bach's masterpieces, that every human being fully equipped of brain and hearing should listen to, I warmly reccommend it to all vinylist of the forum.

BTW All Speakers Corner reissues worth the pricey ticket of admission. IMHO definitely better then same pricey Classics and at the same level of the Music Matters.

Lately I bought few 'cheaper' Sundazed and Scorpio (Rhino) pressings, and I am disappointed: noisy vinyl, mastering just ok, and usually less 'musical' then originals, though one might find that a 20 bucks reissue is fair if original pressing fetch 300 and more.

Overall in this vinyl renessaince I found that quality of cheapest went down, like Sundazed.

Analogue and Classic were ok, though I didn't buy them lately.

http://www.speakerscorner.de/Speakerscorne...te/E/index1.htm

What does that set go for in reissue? Would like to own it.

Great performance and spectacular recording. In other words it's like having the cellist in the room with you.

It's around 100 $ for three LP, luxury box and booklet, not cheap, but originals are 'obnoxious'. In the last years original Decca, Mercury, RCA, EMI, even DG, reached audiophile and collector crazyness on the web or record shop. So if I have to pay the same price for an used original with all 'tick' and 'pop'...

These days for classical music I usually depredate for free the old box sets in the cave and garage of friends and relatives: the covers are dead, but the records, once cleaned, are usually mint. Think about it, thirty years ago everybody in the upper middle class SHOULD own all those Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, was almost part of furniture, usually nobody listen to them, they spent evenings watching at tv, or drink martinis with pop music as background, but they SHOULD have a hi-fi gear with a bunch of Brahms or Tchaikovsky or Vivaldi, just to show they were cultivated people.

Obviously some of them even played classic records.

Maybe I am a bit snob and cynical.

Edited by porcy62

Great performance and spectacular recording. In other words it's like having the cellist in the room with you.

It's around 100 $ for three LP, luxury box and booklet, not cheap, but originals are 'obnoxious'. In the last years original Decca, Mercury, RCA, EMI, even DG, reached audiophile and collector crazyness on the web or record shop. So if I have to pay the same price for an used original with all 'tick' and 'pop'...

These days for classical music I usually depredate for free the old box sets in the cave and garage of friends and relatives: the covers are dead, but the records, once cleaned, are usually mint. Think about it, thirty years ago everybody in the upper middle class SHOULD own all those Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, was almost part of furniture, usually nobody listen to them, they spent evenings watching at tv, or drink martinis with pop music as background, but they SHOULD have a hi-fi gear with a bunch of Brahms or Tchaikovsky or Vivaldi, just to show they were cultivated people.

Around here it is relatively easy to find good classical LPs in perfect or near perfect shape, usually for $4 or $5 a piece. I am very picky--I only buy ones with perfect vinyl or close to it. It seems classical records were more often bought then listened to. I'm happy with that state of affairs. I do like those Mercury Living Presence LPs, quite a bit, and wish I could find that one.

Around here it is relatively easy to find good classical LPs in perfect or near perfect shape, usually for $4 or $5 a piece. I am very picky--I only buy ones with perfect vinyl or close to it. It seems classical records were more often bought then listened to. I'm happy with that state of affairs. I do like those Mercury Living Presence LPs, quite a bit, and wish I could find that one.

Some years ago I bought on line huge box sets of Emi, DG, Philips from 50 cents up to 3 dollars per records, the Decca were a bit more expensive, up to 7/10 $. Usually from U.K. and Germany. Often the shipping, because of the weight, was more expensive then records. I wish I had bought more of them.

Edited by porcy62