• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, the Grant Green 'Green Street' mono NY USA is magnificent.

Everytime i listen to "Green Street" i think that this is grant's masterpiece. I remember that i got myNM mono copy from a man who accepted to sell it to me ( for 250 FF in 1996) but at the moment we where about to conclude the transaction, he asked me that he wanted me to provide him a CD of this one. I ran (not exactly : i flew) to the Virgin Megastore at Champ Elysées, found a JapTOCJ, gave him right away with 250 FF. He was very happy of the transaction, and told me "i can get rid of this old vinyl" ... Oh Yes you can ! :rolleyes:

Yeah, the Grant Green 'Green Street' mono NY USA is magnificent.

Everytime i listen to "Green Street" i think that this is grant's masterpiece. I remember that i got myNM mono copy from a man who accepted to sell it to me ( for 250 FF in 1996) but at the moment we where about to conclude the transaction, he asked me that he wanted me to provide him a CD of this one. I ran (not exactly : i flew) to the Virgin Megastore at Champ Elysées, found a JapTOCJ, gave him right away with 250 FF. He was very happy of the transaction, and told me "i can get rid of this old vinyl" ... Oh Yes you can ! :rolleyes:

Nice story. I still have my mono copy from the sixties :)

It's a great album but, actually, I prefer "Remembering", reissued as "Standards". I gave a friend who had a crying need to get to grips with Grant Green my GXF copy of "Remembering". Philanthropist :D

MG

My latest acquisition:

Ernie Wilkins with Donald Byrd/Ernie Royal/Joe Wilder/Idrees Sulieman etc. 'Top Brass Featuring Five Trumpets'. Recorded RVG, Exec Producer the late Ozzie Cadena.

UK London DG mono pressing of the Savoy session. And sounding way better than the Savoy, I'm sure.

In great condition and picked up for princely sum of £5 :excited:

Edited by sidewinder

My latest acquisition:

Ernie Wilkins with Donald Byrd/Ernie Royal/Joe Wilder/Idrees Sulieman etc. 'Top Brass Featuring Five Trumpets'. Recorded RVG, Exec Producer the late Ozzie Cadena.

UK London DG mono pressing of the Savoy session. And sounding way better than the Savoy, I'm sure.

Damn, why did my fave vinyl shop shut down! Not a good shop in the whole capital. Man, I live in a Third World country.

My latest acquisition:

Damn, why did my fave vinyl shop shut down! Not a good shop in the whole capital. Man, I live in a Third World country.

It took some digging out Porcy. In a shop full of crap LPs by the likes of Demis Rousos, Showadywaddy and the Wurzels there was a forlorn stack of 50s original jazz which I suspect must have come from a deceased fan. In the middle of it all was this particular gem. Unfortunately, most of the rest either I already had or covers or vinyl was fairly trashed (an Art Farmer 'Aztec Suite' with torn cover but great vinyl on London for example - maybe I should go back for that one?).

The vinyl stores are very much on the way out here too. Most of my faves have already gone. This one somehow lingers on.

Edited by sidewinder

My latest acquisition:

It took some digging out Porcy. In a shop full of crap LPs by the likes of Demis Rousos, Showadywaddy and the Wurzels there was a forlorn stack of 50s original jazz which I suspect must have come from a deceased fan. In the middle of it all was this particular gem. Unfortunately, most of the rest either I had or covers or vinyl was fairly trashed (an Art Farmer 'Aztec Suite' for example - maybe I should go back for that one?)

The point over here is that I've got only an handful of places to dig. I suspect that the main reason is the high rent they have to pay. Vinyls need room.

Edited by porcy62

I suspect that the main reason is the high rent they have to pay. Vinyls need room.

Yes - that has been the cause for the closing of pretty well all of them. At least the ones in popular and lucrative city centre sites. Usually they closed to make way for ladies fashion outlets. :rmad:

I suspect that the main reason is the high rent they have to pay. Vinyls need room.

Yes - that has been the cause for the closing of pretty well all of them. At least the ones in popular and lucrative city centre sites. Usually they closed to make way for ladies fashion outlets. :rmad:

The decline of western civilization.

Should we dress a panda's costume and ask for WWF's help or a whale's one and ask for Greenpeace's help?

Edited by porcy62

Today I've been spinning some new purchases.

Tom Harrell - Form (Contemporary) What a lovely album this is. I knew it would be good, but damn, it's excellent.

Billy Hart's Oshuman (Gramavision)

and speaking of Joe Farrell I found a nice copy of Sonix Text (Contemporary) too!