• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my favourite albums of all time is playing as I type this.

It's "Brook Benton - Golden Hits Vol 2" Mercury label. mono.

I looked for this replacement for a record that held a place of honour in my teenage collection. Found it after years of searching.

One of the great voices of the '60s.

Edited by patricia

I looked for this replacement for a record that held a place of honour in my teenage collection. Found it after years of searching.

Indeed. Brook Benton did have a great voice. Sadly, by the time he died he was almost forgotten, even by those who heard him in his prime.

This past weekend:

John Keating – The Keating Sound – WB mono

Dexter Gordon – Landslide – Blue Note

Brasil ’77 – Pais Tropical – A&M

Toquinho – Dolce Vida – Ariola

Bjorn Jayson Lindh – Sissel – Metronome/CTI

Shelly Manne – Daktari – Atlantic mono reissue

Indeed. Brook Benton did have a great voice. Sadly, by the time he died he was almost forgotten, even by those who heard him in his prime.

Interestingly, although the instrumental version of "Walk On The Wild Side" by Elmer Bernstein was used in the film by the same name, Brook Benton appeared in the film, singing in a scene in the brothel.

His vocal version was played in it's complete version while the credits ran at the end.

That was made me buy the album for the first time, after I had seen that film and loved the soundtrack.

Not only did I find another copy of the album. I also bought the film on DVD which was the first time I realized that Benton appeared in it, although briefly. Odd what we remember, and what we don't.:)

Spinning now, An American In Spain - Peter Evans [El Rubio de California]

An album of fairly familiar flamenco guitar tracks. Not bad.

Edited by patricia

OK. A bit of embarrassing trivia. I mentioned earlier that I was listening to An American In Spain. Well, apart from putting it on when an uncontrollable urge strikes me to do a workmanlike flamenco, I had never read the liner notes. They are the predictable praise for the collection, but I never noticed that they were written by Jose Ferrer!! Damn!!! And, if that weren't enough, and God knows it should be. I watch re-runs of "Crossing Jorden" every day because his son Miguel is among the cast. Not amazing, but hey, how many things are? :blink:

Now I am listening to Ellis In Wonderland - Ray Ellis - Columbia label. Good background for doing the pile of paperwork that never gets smaller.

Apparently this record is best when played on a Columbia phonograph. These Columbia folks are not shy about promoting their related product.