Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, jazzcorner said:
Philips (Japan) SFX-10508 - Dizzie Gillespie & The Double Six Of Paris - rec 1963 -

[IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]

[IMG]

Bob Florence died much too early. I am a big band fan and have everything he cut on records and some unissued material he did here in Germany with the radio Frankfurt big band.  He preferred  to arrange longer tracks to give the artists solo space. For my taste he belongs to the top 2 or 3 West Coast  big bands beside Bill Holmans orchestra and the Shorty Rogers Big Express.

Can recommend also his album "Westlake" on Discovery/Trend (Albert Marx production).

The Diz with the Double Six of Paris is a very nice record. 
It´s the big band arrangesments for the vocal quartet. 
Only the lyrics are stupid nonsens. Maybe this was the times when the record was made. 

Diz is in top form, some of Diz´s finest solos. 
And Bud is in top form as always if he was not forced to play trio but play together with great horn players.

About Bob Florence: Well I know now why I never had heard his name: Westcoast..... that´s a complete hole in my infos about jazz or my records.....

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

About Bob Florence: Well I know now why I never had heard his name: Westcoast..... that´s a complete hole in my infos about jazz or my records.....

My internet browser made it look as if "Bob Florence died much too early. I am a big band fan and have everything he cut on records" was something you said... I was already thinking, wow, here's another facet of Gheorghe I'd never would have suspected... I guess I am somewhere in the middle, wouldn't call myself a big band fand, but I do have a Bob Florence LP which I am playing now... the album is about 8 weeks older than me, hard to say who has aged better... 

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

"West Coast style"  is mostly considered as a subform of 'Cool Jazz'.

One of your compatriotes is a star of Cool Jazz: Hans Koller. Ever heard?

Can recomment this book I just received a few days ago

48777553fd.jpg

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Different vibe, but worth trying an earlier record too: Band Bongos, Reeds, Brass. One of the best "studio" big band records.

Is this referring to Westlake? Sorry I've got confused (easily done...) but like the sound of that recommendation 

47 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Is this referring to Westlake? Sorry I've got confused (easily done...) but like the sound of that recommendation 

It's Bob Florence. An early stereosploitation record. But a really good one. Very exciting and creative within the constraints of a ridiculous and compromised genre.

Edited by Rabshakeh

2 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

"West Coast style"  is mostly considered as a subform of 'Cool Jazz'.

One of your compatriotes is a star of Cool Jazz: Hans Koller. Ever heard?

Can recomment this book I just received a few days ago

48777553fd.jpg

who has not heard of Hans Koller ? 

Hard music to play, you got to read difficult sheet.....