What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

On 10/6/2024 at 11:41 AM, mjazzg said:

image.jpeg.c9ffab379524a0e180ffd9d36be8eec7.jpeg

Palle Mikkelborg - Ashoka Suite [Metronome, Denmark 1970]

It's taken a while to track this down but I'm very pleased I have.  A while ago I started a thread about trombone and vibes front lines, this has four trombones with its vibes!

had the Ashoka Suite at one point and sold it (condition issues). Would not mind having it back.

• Replies 56.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now spinning:

Ny0zMzI1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Jose Fajardo - Selecciones Clasicas (Coco, 1977)
produced by Harvey Averne and Ray Barretto

According to Max Salazar -- author of Mambo Kingdom: Latin Music in New York -- this album was the best-selling LP of Fajardo's career. 

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Sphere - Flight Path (Elektra Musician, 1983)

Such lovely music.  Can't say enough about Buster Williams.

That means we are two ! 

I only have one album of "Sphere", and my fave on it is Buster Williams, who anyway is one of my favourites.

Until I got the best of the Austrian bassists and drummers to play with, I still had it in my head that if I could have those "three wishes" , one might be "to have Buster Williams and Al Foster play with me".....

How is this other Sphere Album. Also Monk originals ? 

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

How is this other Sphere Album. Also Monk originals ? 

Unlike the first Sphere LP, this second album features compositions by the band members.  

38 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Excellent .... btw dig their Bologna 1985 performance released as "Live On Tour" (Red Records) ....

Yes!  :tup

And this one too (from Umbria Jazz in '86):

MTYtNTIxOC5qcGVn.jpeg

Pumpkin's Delight (Red) 

Edited by HutchFan

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Andre Previn - Dead Ringer OST (WB, mono)

With its combination of dissonant, 20th century symphonic composition and use of the harpsichord, this is as close as I've found to Night Gallery music.

ab67616d00001e029e8781ff428179e88c99f212.jpeg

That description makes me sit up

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

NC02Mzg2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Mundell Lowe - Guitar Player (Dobre, 1977)
with Monty Budwig (b) and Nick Ceroli (d)

I think he is on some Bird live recording "Bird is Free" and plays some very fine guitar there, but somehow guitar in vintage bop settings does not really fit in other than maybe an additional soloist. 

But he must have been a very technical guitarist. 
What label is "Dobre Records".....sounds like something from Iugoslavia or Polonia...

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

This album keeps making its way back to my turntable:

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Bob Florence Big Band - Live at Concerts By The Sea (Trend, 1980)

It's a grower.

It´s strange I have read that name sometimes here in the forum, but it is completly unknown to me. 
Maybe I´m not the biggest big band fan (it seems that Diz, Billie Eckstine and above all Sun Ra but also Thad Jones Mel Lewis have spoiled me on other big bands) but I never heard the name

Philips (Japan) SFX-10508 - Dizzie Gillespie & The Double Six Of Paris - rec 1963 -

[IMG]

[IMG] [IMG]

[IMG]

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Re: Bob Florence

It´s strange I have read that name sometimes here in the forum, but it is completly unknown to me. 
Maybe I´m not the biggest big band fan (it seems that Diz, Billie Eckstine and above all Sun Ra but also Thad Jones Mel Lewis have spoiled me on other big bands) but I never heard the name

Bob Florence died much too early. I am a big band fan and have everything he cut on records and some unissued material he did here in Germany with the radio Frankfurt big band.  He preferred  to arrange longer tracks to give the artists solo space. For my taste he belongs to the top 2 or 3 West Coast  big bands beside Bill Holmans orchestra and the Shorty Rogers Big Express.

Can recommend also his album "Westlake" on Discovery/Trend (Albert Marx production).

Edited by jazzcorner
more text