Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Herbie/Yardbirds - Blow Up OST (MGM, mono)

For those who don't know, the mono LP has edits of a few tracks that are significantly longer than their stereo counterparts. Mono is definitely the way to go with this one.

I love that version of The Train Kept a Rolling. 

Like a lot of British blues stuff, its secret weapon is that it is a bit inept. 

On 9/13/2024 at 4:42 PM, Pim said:

IMG-8563.jpg
Wow big compliments to Craft records. This sounds amazing. 

I might give it a try. 

As much as I like 60´s avantgarde I fear that both names "Prince Lasha and Sonny Simmons" where lesser known over here in Europe or in my countries. 
We heard late Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, Ornette Coleman, Don Cherry, Cecil Taylor but I fear those were only the most popular artists. 
I think I have Prince Lasha or even Sonny Simmons on a very strange Dolphy LP from a totally obscure label  "Trip Records" which has an ultra strange tune "Music Matador" which sounds outright melodically for 60´s free jazz.....
And I think I read sometimes the name Sonny Simmons on ESP records, but imagine how hard it was to get that semi obscure label (at least in Europe then, where only a part of the American market was brought in). We all had "Town Hall Concert by Ornette Coleman", but very little else.....

On 12/1/2023 at 10:34 PM, Rabshakeh said:

I love the whiplash between the delicate post bop on side one and the track "Jug's Not Dead" that opens the Freemans' set. But its also immediately obvious which of the two is going to be the deeper.

Sorry, I realise that it is actually called "Jug Ain't Gone", not "Jug's Not Dead".

Chic Chic Chico - Chico Hamilton (UK HMV Mono 1965). Interesting record, I bought this mainly for Albert Stinson whose playing on Bobby Hutcherson’s Oblique blew me away. Has some good Harold Land blowing space among some arranged pieces with flute and French Horn. Stinson impressive, esp on Carol’s walk. Not released on CD I understand. 

IMG_4871.jpeg.f411e19308b935a7bbdba09530aeb62a.jpeg

49 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Chic Chic Chico - Chico Hamilton (UK HMV Mono 1965). Interesting record, I bought this mainly for Albert Stinson whose playing on Bobby Hutcherson’s Oblique blew me away. Has some good Harold Land blowing space among some arranged pieces with flute and French Horn. Stinson impressive, esp on Carol’s walk. Not released on CD I understand. 

I have the same pressing, always enjoy it

11 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Chic Chic Chico - Chico Hamilton (UK HMV Mono 1965). Interesting record, I bought this mainly for Albert Stinson whose playing on Bobby Hutcherson’s Oblique blew me away ....

Albert Stinson excels here .... again ....

28 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

So am I!  do you know his eponymously titled first album at all? I'm assuming it's much of the same

Screenshot-2024-09-18-122443.jpg

and with substantial bonus material .... :

Screenshot-2024-09-18-122734.jpg

Recorded in 1973 the song material is excellent (Sam Dees, Prince Phillip Mitchell, Jimmy Lewis, Ashford & Simpson to name a few) still a bit uneven (aka undecided) between Southern/Modern Soul .... don`t get me wrong, quality music indeed  but not reaching the heights of the following Cotillion album ....

Edit .... not to be missed :

John Edwards "There'll Never Be Another Woman" (Weis Records) 1970 .... written/produced by great Joshie Jo Armstead .... now try to get rid of the hookline 😈 ....

Edited by soulpope

3 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Screenshot-2024-09-18-122443.jpg

and with substantial bonus material .... :

Screenshot-2024-09-18-122734.jpg

Recorded in 1973 the song material is excellent (Sam Dees, Prince Phillip Mitchell, Jimmy Lewis, Ashford & Simpson to name a few) still a bit uneven(aka undecided) between Southern/Modern Soul .... don`t get me wrong, quality music indeed  but not reaching the heights of the following Cotillion album ....

Edit .... not to be missed :

John Edwards "There'll Never Be Another Woman" (Weis Records) 1970 .... wirtten/produce by great Joshie Jo Armstead .... now try to get rid of the hookline 😈 ....

Thanks ever so much for the insight. I'll investigate further, that Kent may be streamable