What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

1 hour ago, corto maltese said:

I sometimes dream that a box set came out with all the recordings from their French period including 10 hours of unreleased material.

I guess they are all on different labels.

Strange that there is generally not much in the way of big reissues. They are a named A list band in basic jazz histories, but for some reason the marketers and the younger punters have never really gone for them. Why they weren't swept up in the excitement around Pharaoh Sanders / Sun Ra / Archie Shepp a few years back isn't really clear to me.

• Replies 56.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I guess they are all on different labels.

Strange that there is generally not much in the way of big reissues. They are a named A list band in basic jazz histories, but for some reason the marketers and the younger punters have never really gone for them. Why they weren't swept up in the excitement around Pharaoh Sanders / Sun Ra / Archie Shepp a few years back isn't really clear to me.

Not "Spiritual" enough, too experimental for London Fields Crew.

Having said that I think "Theme de Yo Yo" maintains its position in a Jazz top ten for the new Jazz cogniscenti. I guess they never looked beyond it very much.

How cynical am I feeling today...

Edited by mjazzg

8 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Having said that I think "Theme de Yo Yo" maintains its position in a Jazz top ten for the new Jazz cogniscenti. I guess they never looked beyond it very much.

I agree with all of this, but it is weird that even with Yoyo on the Spotify Playlists and well known (my wife knew the song and regarded it as a little "overplayed" before she had even met me), the name AEC is often met with blank looks. Braxton isn't spiritual but the London Fields crowd knows Braxton. 

This is a particularly sore spot for me, as I am a card carrying member of the London Fields crowd myself (well, maybe more Clissold Park these days - time is cruel), with a son named after a member of the AEC. I'm used to the blank looks.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

I agree with all of this, but it is weird that even with Yoyo on the Spotify Playlists and well known (my wife knew the song and regarded it as a little "overplayed" before she had even met me), the name AEC is often met with blank looks. Braxton isn't spiritual but the London Fields crowd knows Braxton. 

This is a particularly sore spot for me, as I am a card carrying member of the London Fields crowd myself (well, maybe more Clissold Park these days - time is cruel), with a son named after a member of the AEC. I'm used to the blank looks.

I'm genuinely surprised that Braxton is more well known.

Nothing wrong with Clissold Park apart from all the runners...in fact Clissold Park was the London Fields of my day

Edited by mjazzg

10 hours ago, mjazzg said:

all true, and also the rights to do such a set would be a quagmire. Other than the two Pathé/Nessa titles, everything is owned by Charly/BYG, Pierre Berjot (Musidisc - America, Galloway, Carson), and DA Music/Alan Bates (Freedom-Polydor). 

On 8/19/2024 at 3:11 PM, kh1958 said:

You might want to investigate more deeply. Ellington is much more than an arranger's piano. He's one of my favorite pianists. There are plenty of solo, duo, trio, and small group recordings.

image.jpeg.e864accf94b0060666037f76304be071.jpegimage.jpeg.a4822d0de8af2cfb5eaa52d233b03a4c.jpeg

image.jpeg.13a1d9498a8d93caf829a82389696ae1.jpegimage.jpeg.db09637e134c4eec2afec8b894ba9794.jpeg

Duke Ellington solo - see SIDE 2: PIANO IMPROVISATIONS, Part I-IV:

Ellington-8-1_stitch (Copy).jpg

Ellington-9-1_stitch (Copy).jpg

Duke Ellington: "Duke 56/62" Vol. 1.  CBS 88653 [1984]

14 hours ago, jazzcorner said:
Concord Jazz CJ-191 - Woody Herman Big Band "Live At The Concord Jazz Festival" - rec. 1981 - Engineers: Phol Edwards & Ron Davis

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I might not say that I am a mainstream big band fan in general, but it was always nice to see the Herd on them usual festival in the late 70´s - early 80´s. 

It was music just for the power of sound, not for figuring out much.... those festivals where times where at some moment you had the mood for that kind of music, really fine....

On 9/6/2024 at 11:55 AM, mjazzg said:

Jazztrack And Norma Winstone - Flying Stork [Musicians Record Company, Germany 1979]

I have only recently become aware of this album, prime wordless Norma, absolutely lovely

I had no idea that this existed.   Thanks for the heads-up.  :tup 

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

I concur!!!

Interesting, I must admit I have never heard of or seen this After the Bridge record. Seems to be mainly Japanese issues on Discogs. What’s the story here, who is on these sessions and why weren’t they released at the time? 

Edited by adh1907

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

The sessions were also issued on domestic CDs, just under different titles.

The initial issue was by French RCA and was unapproved by Rollins.

rollin_sonn_alternati_102b.jpg

A1   Now's The Time
Written-By  Charlie Parker

Written-By  John Lewis (2)

5:24
B1   Fifty Second Street Theme
Written-By  Thelonious Monk

14:38
B2   I Remember Clifford
Written-By  Benny Golson

6:07
C1   Saint Thomas
Written-By  Sonny Rollins

3:04
C2   Afternoon In Paris
Written-By  John Lewis (2)

3:02
C3   Trav'lin' Light
Written-By  Mundy*, Mercer*, Young*

12:20
C4   Winter In Wonderland

5:19
D1   Four
Written-By  Miles Davis

5:54
D2   Four
Written-By  Miles Davis

7:52
D3   When You Wish Upon A Star

3:26

Credits

Edited by jazzcorner
more data

Time for some Jazz harpsichord...

MS05MDc2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Michael Garrick Septet - Black Marigolds [Argo, UK 1966 Stereo]

NC01MDU5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Earl Anderza - Outa Sight [Fontana, Netherlands, 1963]

First listen, there will be lots more. I do love the fact that after listening to Jazz for 30+ years there's still albums like this to discover. love the "tartness" of his tone.