Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Some great playing by Charlie Haden ....

I really heard him this morning. I found myself enthusiastically telling the 4 year old and 6 year about Ornette's Atlantic Quartet.

Because this was a record that I had from really very early on in my listening career, it is strangely one which I understand less than more recent acquisitions. I don't think I had realised Frank Lowe was on it until today. Perhaps as a younger listener I assumed it was Cherry doing those squealing effects.

37 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I really heard him this morning. I found myself enthusiastically telling the 4 year old and 6 year about Ornette's Atlantic Quartet.

Because this was a record that I had from really very early on in my listening career, it is strangely one which I understand less than more recent acquisitions. I don't think I had realised Frank Lowe was on it until today. Perhaps as a younger listener I assumed it was Cherry doing those squealing effects.

The album quite an adventurous listening expedition .... btw the title track with Charle Haden`s wah-wah bass won me over first ....

Ornette Coleman – The Shape Of Jazz To Come

PXL_20240814_070449634.jpg

18 hours ago, soulpope said:

The album quite an adventurous listening expedition .... btw the title track with Charle Haden`s wah-wah bass won me over first ....

I think to an extent that first track dominates my own understanding of the record too. During the CD and MP3 age, which is when I was listening to the record most, the temptation to change midway through the second track was always quite strong. Yesterday I was really struck by how much more I enjoyed the whole record on LP.

12 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I think to an extent that first track dominates my own understanding of the record too. During the CD and MP3 age, which is when I was listening to the record most, the temptation to change midway through the second track was always quite strong. Yesterday I was really struck by how much more I enjoyed the whole record on LP.

👍

39 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I'm really bummed out that Wallace retired before I got the chance to see him perform. I almost went to see him in CT but had to back out at the last minute. It turns out that was one of his last live gigs.

Sorry to hear that he's retired.  I didn't know that. 

At least we have the records.  ;) 

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Ray Barretto - The Other Road

PXL_20240815_070158808 (2).jpg

❤️ ❤️ ❤️

On 8/14/2024 at 9:06 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Shape of Jazz to come is a very fine early Coleman Album, it is still swinging and very easy to acces for people who still have to learn to make the transition from tonal and straight ahead to more steps beyond certain bounderies. 

It´s interesting, that one of the tracks "Lonely Woman" was a favourite of my mother. Born 1921 in Europe it might have been quite unusual for an old women to listen what though now is "old", then was "modern". 

She had her things she loved and spinned over and over again: Mingus´ "Meditation on Integration" with Dolphy, "Pharoah Sander Healing Song" and Ornette Coleman the "Lonely Woman" or one certain harmolodic theme that was on an Impulse Album and later was with string quartet.....i think "Prime Design Time Design"......