Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Howling WolfPXL_20240731_064340185(1).jpg.a2f558a56f01776f845854cb34b1348e.jpg

A present that my kids bought for me on my birthday. My six year old had seen the cover of the first comp and thought that the howling wolf on the cover looked cool, so I sent my wife off to buy it with them "secretly". They came back with the second comp instead, and sadly, a euro-boot. I craftily bought a Chess reissue and substituted it without them knowing, during a period when my record player was being repaired. This morning was the first time the "present" was played. Everyone very happy. I underrate this record among Howling Wolf's, and didn't like it as a kid, but listening to it now I am glad for the mix up, because it might be my favourite on re-evaluation. Hubert Sumlin does make a difference here.

The kids also bought me a copy of Abbey Road on vinyl for some reason. I'm not sure why but perhaps I had played them Beatles songs in the past. It does sound good though.

Edited by Rabshakeh

17 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Howling WolfPXL_20240731_064340185(1).jpg.a2f558a56f01776f845854cb34b1348e.jpg

A present that my kids bought for me on my birthday. My six year old had seen the cover of the first comp and thought that the howling wolf on the cover looked cool, so I sent my wife off to buy it with them "secretly". They came back with the second comp instead, and sadly, a euro-boot. I craftily bought a Chess reissue and substituted it without them knowing, during a period when my record player was being repaired. This morning was the first time the "present" was played. Everyone very happy. I underrate this record among Howling Wolf's, and didn't like it as a kid, but listening to it now I am glad for the mix up, because it might be my favourite on re-evaluation. Hubert Sumlin does make a difference here.

The kids also bought me a copy of Abbey Road on vinyl for some reason. I'm not sure why but perhaps I had played them Beatles songs in the past. It does sound good though.

Caring kids 😁👍 ....

17 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

Jack McDuff - The Heatin' System [Cadet, USA 1972]

Summer's finally arrived in London, 30 degree heat outside and inside with this music. Phil Upchurch! Special mention to @HutchFan for my intro to this

This is a really good one. A big favourite around here.

Just now, Rabshakeh said:

This is a really good one. A big favourite around here.

Yes, it is isn't it. All the elements come together very nicely.

And, Happy Birthday (belatedly perhaps). Love the Wolf LP story 

On 7/31/2024 at 2:14 PM, mjazzg said:

Primary

Michael Garrick Septet - Black Marigolds [Argo, UK Stereo 1966]

I have the Vocalion CD reissue of Black Marigolds.  I need to get that out & give it a spin.  It's been a while.

2 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I have the Vocalion CD reissue of Black Marigolds.  I need to get that out & give it a spin.  It's been a while.

I think it's a really interesting album that covers so many of Garrick's many bases -straight ahead, modal, classical, poetry, religious music. Some reviews suggest it doesn't hang together as an album and whilst I can see why that's said it does do so for me as a snapshot of a time in his career. 

The very received English pronunciation of the poet is a time capsule in itself.

Worth that revisit I'd say.

This copy was a ridiculous treat to self funded by selling off most of my remaining Rock LPs. It will get played a lot more than the Pixies did!

1 minute ago, mjazzg said:

This copy was a ridiculous treat to self funded by selling off most of my remaining Rock LPs. It will get played a lot more than the Pixies did!

That sorta trade makes perfect sense to me!  ;) 

4 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Worth that revisit I'd say.

Pulling it from the shelf right now.

But first I'm going to finish up this LP, which is now spinning on my turntable:

MzgtOTczMS5qcGVn.jpeg

Oliver Lake - Impala (Gramavision, 1987)

Another Lake LP that features the wonderful Geri Allen.

1 minute ago, HutchFan said:

That sorta trade makes perfect sense to me!  ;) 

Pulling it from the shelf right now.

But first I'm going to finish up this LP, which is now spinning on my turntable:

MzgtOTczMS5qcGVn.jpeg

Oliver Lake - Impala (Gramavision, 1987)

Another Lake LP that features the wonderful Geri Allen.

I don't know 'Impala', will see if I can stream it

I was surprised how sought after some of the early pressings of the Pixies are these days. Great fun in their time but Garrick's a lot more my energy levels these days...

Had them all, sold them all.  Saved a Throwing Muses though

25 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Pod is the best Pixies album and the only one you need :D

Ha! Just thought about that some more. Had that back then, not sure when it got sold off