Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Profiles was also issued as half of a 70s twofer LP with Gil Evans' Out of the Cool, as part of the impulse! Dedication Series.  This is a potentially cheaper option if originals are scarce.

Thanks again 

On 7/21/2024 at 7:10 PM, optatio said:

Cal Tjader – Cal Tjader Plugs In (Copy).jpg

Cal Tjader: Cal Tjader Plugs In. Skye Records SK-10 [1969]

Seldom seen here but in my stock.  Wasnt it a budget edition?

On 7/21/2024 at 6:32 PM, kh1958 said:

Howard Rumsey's Light House All Stars, volume 3 (Contemporary ten inch)

image.jpeg.af85067913a9ab54a89d94d1b2644e40.jpeg

Excellent - have the 12" version. Wonderful coverart

Now spinning:

NC04NDcyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Walter Norris - Stepping on Cracks (Progressive, rec. 1978)
with George Mraz (b) & Ronnie Bedford (d)

5 stars -- in spite that bland, bordering-on-cringey cover. 

Compare the cover design above with the same LP for the Japanese market, retitled A Child is Born.  It features evocative cover art and an interesting photo of Norris on the flip side:

NjgtMjQ3NS5qcGVn.jpeg

NTItNDQxOS5qcGVn.jpeg

Unlike the U.S. release, this Japanese version doesn't communicate utter indifference to presentation.  IMO.

27 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Primary

The Brass Company - Colors [Strata East, USA 1975]

This always surprises me how good it is, maybe I don't listen to it often enough. Writing, arranging and playing of top order, I'd say.

Agreed, just on the turntable, the cover still has the price sticker - 26 DM 😂! What a line-up ...

Edited by optatio

Running through my late Dad’s collection. As kids, i remember we all loved this when it was played as it was so wild (compared to Chicory Tip or Slade).  ‘You must read the back of the album’ , great. How was this received when it was originally issued, I wonder. 

IMG_4779.jpeg

More Walter Norris:

Ny0xNDQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Walter Norris & Aladar Pege - Synchronicity (Enja, 1979)

Last year, when I was in Barcelona's Park Güell (designed by Antoni Gaudi), I realized that this album's cover image was taken there.  :) 

14 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

How was this received when it was originally issued, I wonder.

IIRC, I've read that the album was not well-received by critics.  

Proof that you can't trust 'em.  ;)  :P 

19 minutes ago, adh1907 said:

Running through my late Dad’s collection. As kids, i remember we all loved this when it was played as it was so wild (compared to Chicory Tip or Slade).  ‘You must read the back of the album’ , great. How was this received when it was originally issued, I wonder. 

IMG_4779.jpeg

I've only recently got a copy of that, I still don't know why I hadn't been aware of it for so long.

Now Slade, there's a band ...

Next in the pile. My Dad’s is a Vogue mono issue, price of 12/6. Sounds pretty good too. I have an original Contemporary (because I loved what I had heard). Great sleeve too. Always intrigued by Teddy Edward’s shirt on the reverse, v cool. 

IMG_4781.jpeg

9 hours ago, adh1907 said:

IMG_4779.jpeg

Reviews were good. But no real radio play that I could tell. And I don't know how much as support Atlantic gave it.

A great record, but nothing crossover neither the music or the attitude. But that's ok, they kept him on the roster and let do that other stuff at his own pace.

11 hours ago, HutchFan said:

More Walter Norris:

Ny0xNDQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Walter Norris & Aladar Pege - Synchronicity (Enja, 1979)

Last year, when I was in Barcelona's Park Güell (designed by Antoni Gaudi), I realized that this album's cover image was taken there.  :) 

Isn't this also used for a Joe Henderson record?

11 hours ago, adh1907 said:

IMG_4779.jpeg

An early appearance by Sonelius Smith, who was on all those Strata-East records.

12 hours ago, adh1907 said:

Next in the pile. My Dad’s is a Vogue mono issue, price of 12/6. Sounds pretty good too. I have an original Contemporary (because I loved what I had heard). Great sleeve too. Always intrigued by Teddy Edward’s shirt on the reverse, v cool. 

IMG_4781.jpeg

Did he play these a lot when you grew up? As in, were you already familiar with this great music as a kid?