Posted Images

46 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I've been listening to two Bruce Forman LPs that feature Bobby Hutcherson:

Ni01MjQxLmpwZWc.jpeg

There Are Times (Concord, 1987)

and

NC05OTk3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Full Circle (Concord, 1984)

Never knew of Bobby Hutcherson on any Concord records!

Who produced those?

25 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Never knew of Bobby Hutcherson on any Concord records!

Who produced those?

Yup.  They're pretty good records.  Not mind-blowing.  But solid.

Chris Long is listed as the producer for There Are Times and Carl Jefferson for Full Circle

Both albums feature the same rhythm section: George Cables (p), Jeff Carney (b), and Eddie Marshall (d).

On 6/22/2024 at 9:54 PM, JSngry said:

Eddie Marshall was always good!

Yessir. 

Both Marshall & Cables played with Hutcherson frequently, so the group sounds like a working unit.

Edited by HutchFan

IMG-7768.jpg
This was the LP that got me into both Frank Wright as Noah Howard 15 years ago. Then as a MP3 file and glad to have a physical copy now :) it’s in pristine condition but the lamination comes off. Shall I peel it off or shouldn’t I?

3 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-7768.jpg
This was the LP that got me into both Frank Wright as Noah Howard 15 years ago. Then as a MP3 file and glad to have a physical copy now :) it’s in pristine condition but the lamination comes off. Shall I peel it off or shouldn’t I?

I had an ECM LP where the lamination was peeling, I removed it and I think that was a mistake as it left a cover with adhesive still there. Have you got a plastic sleeve you can place the LP in, with the remaining laminate still present?

Great album 

that's not too bad. I'd let the lamination be. If it was coming off in sheets I'd finish the job.

Incredible LP, too. Got mine maybe 25 years ago now, and the labels are solid red with black print. The sleeve has a flipback construction. I think the red label is "first" but they pressed so few of them I'd imagine the design switched mid-run.

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I had an ECM LP where the lamination was peeling, I removed it and I think that was a mistake as it left a cover with adhesive still there. Have you got a plastic sleeve you can place the LP in, with the remaining laminate still present?

Great album 

Ah I probably leave it on than. The sight of it annoys me a little bit…. 

4 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

that's not too bad. I'd let the lamination be. If it was coming off in sheets I'd finish the job.

Incredible LP, too. Got mine maybe 25 years ago now, and the labels are solid red with black print. The sleeve has a flipback construction. I think the red label is "first" but they pressed so few of them I'd imagine the design switched mid-run.

yeah mine has the same sleeve but different labels. There were indeed two versions on Calumet. The Japanese pressing was first according to Discogs. That one seems to be even rarer. It was hard enough to track down this French first pressing.

The Japanese is definitely not first. Discogs is wrong. If anything they were roughly simultaneous. Producer Pierre Berjot (Musidisc-America-Carson-Calumet) licensed Church Number Nine and the AEC's Chi-Congo to Odeon in the early 70s. The French original of Chi-Congo was on Decca, though that seems to have been a Berjot deal as well.

The mystery is the additional track on the Japanese pressing. My guess is Toshiba-EMI felt they could include more music and keep the pressing integrity, and ran off the entire session tape onto disc, whereas Berjot lopped off about ten minutes for the French market.

13 hours ago, Roger Farbey said:

Grachan Moncur III - Evolution

Evolution_(Grachan_Moncur_III_album).jpg

This is great and those records together with Jackie McLeans´s "One Stop Beyond" and "Destination Out" are very similar. Same lineup  alto, vibes, trombone.....