What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

I have that KAPP 2LP set somewhere in a Japanese pressing I think. Will have to dig it out.

Overdue spin for this 2LP gem in the Pure Pleasure version.

CS739558-01A-BIG.jpg

I used to have this on a Black Lion double LP but sold it for something like £2 to Mole Jazz about 40 years ago. What a moron - I guess it indicates how tastes change over time. To me, this sounds as good as or better than the Black Lion, which had different cover art as well.

• Replies 56.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

I have that KAPP 2LP set somewhere in a Japanese pressing I think. Will have to dig it out.

CS739558-01A-BIG.jpg

I used to have this on a Black Lion double LP but sold it for something like £2 to Mole Jazz about 40 years ago. What a moron - I guess it indicates how tastes change over time. To me, this sounds as good as or better than the Black Lion, which had different cover art as well.

I have the Black Lion but not purchased from Mole.

I often think it would be fun to compile my shadow collection of all the 100s LPs I have sold over the years.

Pleased to say not too many that I regret, especially not the Metal ones!

7 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I have the Black Lion but not purchased from Mole.

I often think it would be fun to compile my shadow collection of all the 100s LPs I have sold over the years.

Pleased to say not too many that I regret, especially not the Metal ones!

Have to say - this Pure Pleasure version sounds better than the Black Lion ever did. Or maybe it is a function of the system I’m playing it on? The sleeve and vinyl quality are superior, for sure.

That Black Lion I picked up second hand anyway so when sold to Mole it was 3rd hand.

Over the years I’ve actually sold very few LPs. All those DMM Blue Notes, I’ve still got. Maybe not a bad thing as some of them are now attracting crazy prices.

Edited by sidewinder

2 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

The Blue Stars of France - Lullaby of Birdland (Emarcy, mono)

With Blossom Dearie and Christiane Legrand.

I see that Blossom has recently got a ‘Complete Fontana’ CD set out. First CD issue of ‘Soon It’s Gonna Rain’ plus two CDs of new outtakes. Tempting !

3 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Cool!  Is it from one of those Euro PD labels?

Decca I think and from the master tapes - seems to be readily available here in the UK and I would guess that Dusty Groove should stock it. Comes in quite a large box with what seems to be a very comprehensive booklet/book covering Blossom’s career. A real quality release by the sound of it but a limited issue.

Edited by sidewinder

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Decca I think and from the master tapes - seems to be readily available here in the UK and I would guess that Dusty Groove should stock it. Comes in quite a large box with what seems to be a very comprehensive booklet/book covering Blossom’s career. A real quality release by the sound of it but a limited issue.

It is currently under $100 on US Amazon.  Great to know this exists, but I'm feeling strapped for cash lately.

18 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Have to say - this Pure Pleasure version sounds better than the Black Lion ever did. Or maybe it is a function of the system I’m playing it on? The sleeve and vinyl quality are superior, for sure.

That Black Lion I picked up second hand anyway so when sold to Mole it was 3rd hand.

Over the years I’ve actually sold very few LPs. All those DMM Blue Notes, I’ve still got. Maybe not a bad thing as some of them are now attracting crazy prices.

I have a handful of Pure Pleasures but each of them sounds too in-yer-face too hot for my liking, it as if they're too clean, if that makes any sense at all. I'm not expecting it to.

I know plenty of people really rate them, your good self included, so it must be down to me. It's also now become self-fulfilling, so if I do buy another it's going to sound the same

The Pure Pleasure Stata-Easts seem to get mixed reports - all the Tollivers I have are great but for example, London Jazz Collector doesn’t seem to like them and suspects some are needle drops. I haven’t detected that with any of the ones I have - so far pretty happy with them.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

CS739558-01A-BIG.jpg

Fantastic music and a great reissue

58 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

The Pure Pleasure Stata-Easts seem to get mixed reports - all the Tollivers I have are great but for example, London Jazz Collector doesn’t seem to like them and suspects some are needle drops. I haven’t detected that with any of the ones I have - so far pretty happy with them.

Same here, I’ve got The Loosdrecht Jazz Festival, Music Inc. and Compassion. Billy Harpers Capra Black, the Shamekh Farrah, the Charles Brackeen, the Cecil Payne and of course Glass Bead Games. They all sound fantastic, digital or analog I really don’t care. 

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

4 of those Blossom Dearie Fontanas just came out in Japan: https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searchuni?term.media_format=&q=blossom+dearie

I believe Dusty Groove will also carry them.

There's also a 2 disc set of all previously unreleased material from this period, and the four discs altogether mirror the musical content of the truly lush Blossom Dearie Fontana box set just released.

https://www.discogs.com/release/27667356-Blossom-Dearie-Discover-Who-I-Am-The-Fontana-Years-London-19661970

Edited by jazzbo

13 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Jimmy Smith, Back at the Chicken Shack (NY USA, stereo)

Hank Jones, Bop Redux (Muse)image.jpeg.ba63a050f5bd998727d1089ce1d10dc6.jpeg

image.jpeg.f2d68f8641d7c150cf67a53796505791.jpeg

I bought the Jimmy Smith album sometimes but I´m not sure if it got a lot of spinning. As much as I remember, I had liked his earlier albums more. Especially the 1956-57 period, something like "The Incredible Jimmy Smith" and "Date with Jimmy Smith" which has much more fire. 
My impression was, that Jimmy Smith somehow sounds more smooth  as the years went on. His early records had that "cutting edge" and in some of his early up tempo things, where the guitar player get´s in with some interesting parallel lines has almost the same energy as my beloved " Prime Time" . 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I bought the Jimmy Smith album sometimes but I´m not sure if it got a lot of spinning. As much as I remember, I had liked his earlier albums more. Especially the 1956-57 period, something like "The Incredible Jimmy Smith" and "Date with Jimmy Smith" which has much more fire. 
My impression was, that Jimmy Smith somehow sounds more smooth  as the years went on. His early records had that "cutting edge" and in some of his early up tempo things, where the guitar player get´s in with some interesting parallel lines has almost the same energy as my beloved " Prime Time" . 

This one has Stanley Turrentine on, though.