• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-4344.jpg

my last Third Man pressing. Paper scuffs , distortion on the trumpet and harmonium. Cheap and thin cardboard sleeve. I’ve been warned but fell for it anyway. And they dare to ask a Tone Poet price for it: 43 euros. Will probably return this and pay a little more for an other pressing.

One of Pharoah Sanders finest hours .... 

On 7/27/2023 at 4:11 PM, optatio said:

Donald Byrd Chant front (Copy).jpg

Donald Byrd Chant back (Copy).jpg

I always wanted to like this one more than I do. I could never quite figure out why either.

On 7/27/2023 at 11:39 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

OC03NzMzLmpwZWc.jpeg

These tunes with Ben Webster are my favorites from the first Hodges Mosaic box. It's unfortunate that the majority of the material from that first box never made it to a legitimate CD release. There are those bootlegged Fresh Sound CDs but I never dropped my money on them. The vinyl Mosaic will have to do.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Yes a good one also here!

The LA Jazzinstitute has issued over the years about 15 'for members only' CD's with great west coast jazz artists visiting the Lighthouse. You can look them up on Discogs

Edited by jazzcorner
typo

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

61pDU96StXL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

...superbly evocative cover image. 

It reminds me of Albert's Mexican Village, a pioneering Kilgore, Tx Tex-Mex joint that had a similar block style building and a similarly oversized neon name sign.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/black-and-white-photograph-featuring-two-women-standing-in-news-photo/528673682

It was at the end of a street that gradually deteriorated over time, and by, say, 1970, you would have seen the same car parked in front of it that you see in that photograph. Probably with the headlights off, though.

The Albert's legacy lives, though. Their recipe for their "hot sauce" (which was not at all spicy but is just incredibly flavorful!!!) has long outlived the restaurant, survived the pandemic and subsequent inflation, and only slight corporate medication of it's recipie. 

A trivia note: Albert's did not serve their salsa with chips. The served it with saltines! I have never tried that and probably never will. But I guess their clientele liked well enough to keep the salsa alive into today! 

12 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

I saw the cover many times when it came out but I was reluctant to buy it. 
I didn´t know that Max Roach is on drums, so if I had knewn that Max is on drums it would have been easier for me to decide to buy it. 
Typical west coast jazz somehow didn´t get into my heart even after 50 years of listening and playing. I tried to listen to some, but missed the tension that I´m looking for. Especially from the rhythm sections. 
I think I had heard the thing where Chet Baker played with Bird, but I wouldn´t say it was exceptional, it was good playing for a shy kid in aw of the encounter with Bird, and he manages to get thru, which is quite a good job...
Rolf Ericson was a very very good trumpet player. 

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Re: West Coast Jazz ---> Miles at the Lighthouse

I saw the cover many times when it came out but I was reluctant to buy it. 
I didn´t know that Max Roach is on drums, so if I had knewn that Max is on drums it would have been easier for me to decide to buy it. 
Typical west coast jazz somehow didn´t get into my heart even after 50 years of listening and playing. I tried to listen to some, but missed the tension that I´m looking for. Especially from the rhythm sections. 
I think I had heard the thing where Chet Baker played with Bird, but I wouldn´t say it was exceptional, it was good playing for a shy kid in aw of the encounter with Bird, and he manages to get thru, which is quite a good job...
Rolf Ericson was a very very good trumpet player. 

As a WC fan I can recommend this suberbe 2 LP set with some of  the 'cream' of the west coast groups ---> small groups & big bands as well.

KAPP KXL 5001 "Modern Jazz Gallery" (this album has been awarded the DOWN BEAT seal of approval)  ;-))

42292774vk.jpg

42292785hl.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
more text