Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

NS0xODgxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Junior Cook - Pressure Cooker (Catalyst / Affinity UK, rec. 1977)
with Mickey Tucker (p), Cecil McBee or Juini Booth (b), and Leroy Williams (d)

3 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Worth it for the cover alone! 

Yeah, I dig the cover design too.  I've already put the album up on my always-evolving wall display.  :) 

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

NS0xODgxLmpwZWc.jpeg

Junior Cook - Pressure Cooker (Catalyst / Affinity UK, rec. 1977)
with Mickey Tucker (p), Cecil McBee or Juini Booth (b), and Leroy Williams (d)

I have most of this session as part of an odd Affinity CD release called "Stablemates", which combined "Pressure Cooker" (minus the track "The 8th Cat") with George Coleman's "Big George".

Primary

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

A few days ago, I pulled this album from a local shop's dollar bin:

MzQtNDkwNi5qcGVn.jpeg

I have all five volumes and like them all (except not so much the last one).  In another thread here, some of our European members criticized these albums as an attempt to make jazz "respectable" to European connoisseurs of classical music.  But being from the US, I feel that these albums convey the Europe that I was first drawn to as a kid, via 1960s Italian films shown on TV.

More Junior Cook:

MC0yMjYzLmpwZWc.jpeg

This is an even better album than Pressure Cooker, I think. 

The presence of Woody Shaw definitely doesn't hurt. ;) 

18 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I have all five volumes and like them all (except not so much the last one).  In another thread here, some of our European members criticized these albums as an attempt to make jazz "respectable" to European connoisseurs of classical music.  But being from the US, I feel that these albums convey the Europe that I was first drawn to as a kid, via 1960s Italian films shown on TV.

I can understand both perspectives. 

It certainly isn't regular, garden-variety jazz -- but I think it is interesting music.  As you say, it's very much "of its time."

23 minutes ago, bresna said:

I have most of this session as part of an odd Affinity CD release called "Stablemates", which combined "Pressure Cooker" (minus the track "The 8th Cat") with George Coleman's "Big George".

Yep, I remember seeing that somewhere.  

It's always a bit of a bummer when they have to lop off a cut to make two LPs fit on one CD.  😬

Edited by HutchFan

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

A few days ago, I pulled this album from a local shop's dollar bin:

MzQtNDkwNi5qcGVn.jpeg

My LP is actually the mono version.

I can remember a time when about a third of all "jazz" record sales were of the Jacques Loussier Trio. 🙁

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Yes, a dash of "classical" always caused sales to rocket, whether via MJQ, Brubeck or Loussier.

Meanwhile, I was listening to Bird, Rollins and Trane . . .

54 minutes ago, BillF said:

I can remember a time when about a third of all "jazz" record sales were of the Jacques Loussier Trio. 🙁

Yes, a dash of "classical" always caused sales to rocket, whether via MJQ, Brubeck or Loussier.

Meanwhile, I was listening to Bird, Rollins and Trane . . .

I guess it all depends on where you come from.  When I started buying jazz records, all I could find was either fusion or twofer reissues of artists like Bird, Rollins, and Trane.  The jazz/classical hybrids were very exotic to me, and not readily obtainable.

In another thread, I mentioned that I went for a number of years during which I could not listen to jazz.  What led me back to straightahead jazz was my love for the Great American Songbook, and my interest in tangential musics such as Latin and Brazilian music.  Oddball hybrid albums like those by Loussier also played a role in bringing me back into straightahead jazz.

So in my musical world, it all connects.  

11 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I guess it all depends on where you come from.  When I started buying jazz records, all I could find was either fusion or twofer reissues of artists like Bird, Rollins, and Trane.  The jazz/classical hybrids were very exotic to me, and not readily obtainable.

In another thread, I mentioned that I went for a number of years during which I could not listen to jazz.  What led me back to straightahead jazz was my love for the Great American Songbook, and my interest in tangential musics such as Latin and Brazilian music.  Oddball hybrid albums like those by Loussier also played a role in bringing me back into straightahead jazz.

TtK,

Yesterday, I watched a terrific Jackie Stewart documentary on ESPN.  I was thinking of you because the soundtrack was made up of VERY Euro-sounding jazz, easy-listening, library music, etc.  And Formula 1 racing -- for someone who like me grew up in the U.S. -- is the epitome of hip and glamourous Euro culture. 

health-582897.jpg?r=1686998680160

That's Jackie being kissed by his wife, who (of course) looks like a model you'd see on the pages of Vogue.  As Stewart peers into the camera's lens, you can almost hear him thinking, "Yeah, you should wish you were me!" 

Shutterstock_1102715a.jpg

I think they're getting ready to go to the Electric Psychedelic Pussycat Lounge.  ;) 

8 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

TtK,

Yesterday, I watched a terrific Jackie Stewart documentary on ESPN.  I was thinking of you because the soundtrack was made up of VERY Euro-sounding jazz, easy-listening, library music, etc.  And Formula 1 racing -- for someone who like me grew up in the U.S. -- is the epitome of hip and glamourous Euro culture. 

Perfect!  👍

On 7/21/2023 at 10:20 PM, jazzcorner said:

EmArCy 20PJ-10090 - Giants Of Jazz - rec. 1972 , Switzerland - Producer: George Wein

Play

Straight No Chaser / Thelonious / Epistrophy / don't Blame Me / 'll Wait For You / Sweet And Lovely

43361363wo.jpg

somehow I never could find this. It was for a short time on a mainstream label called Concorde or so, but I never saw it again. I would like to have it since I heard that they play more Monk tunes here. Strange that on the cover photos all musicians seem to be photographed during that time 1972, but the monk photo seems to be much older. As much as I remember, Monk with the Giants didn´t wear a hat anymore. But he still plays in a very creative manner and seemed to respond enthusiastically to Diz composition "Tour de Force" and "Woody´n You".