• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

Rec. 1956 -Sound by Roy DuNann

44350025on.jpg

Steve Hoffman recommended this one years ago and I agree with him that it's a really good swinging jazz LP. For a while it was hard to find after his recommendation but the years have marched on, so it's likely available again.

Until he mentions it again or someone bubbles his old post back up. :)

Lester Bowie - The Great Pretender [ECM, Germany 1981]

Reacquainting myself with this gem. Thanks @Rabshakeh. Maybe 'All The Magic!' needs investigating again next.

These were albums I listened to courtesy of my local library in the early days of my Jazz listening life so never owned them other than on long lost cassette recordings. 

On 7/7/2023 at 9:30 AM, sidewinder said:

Norma Winstone is appearing tomorrow at Swanage I think in a small group including pianist Nicki Illes. I hope to catch it. Some really good vocalists at this year’s festival, not least Claire Martin with her group. I think she lives up the coast at Brighton so sort of home territory.

Quick update for HutchFan on the Norma Winstone concert. Norma appeared in a trio with Nicki Illes, piano and Mark Lockheart, saxes. In fact, a not dissimilar lineup from the first time I saw her circa 1988 with John Taylor and Tony Coe.

Norma was in great voice, with that sublime range, phrasing and great feel for jazz. A typically varied set too, including tunes by Ralph Towner, John Taylor and Joni Mitchell. One thing that struck me was her incredible timing and ability to hit some very unpredictable pitches on fast passages on unison with Lockheart. A super performance which got an excellent reception at the festival, one of the best over a very good 3 days.

Other  festival highlights for me - Get The Blessing, Perfect Houseplants,  a Miles Davis Nonet recreation led by saxophonist Andy Panayi, Toni Kofi’s Adderley Brothers Tribute with Dennis Rollins and a fine Quintet led by saxophonist Dave O’Higgins and guitarist Rob Luft. Luft also appeared with the excellent contemporary group led by drummer Corrie Dick.

Edited by sidewinder

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Quick update for HutchFan on the Norma Winstone concert. Norma appeared in a trio with Nicki Illes, piano and Mark Lockheart, saxes. In fact, a not dissimilar lineup from the first time I saw her circa 1988 with John Taylor and Tony Coe.

Norma was in great voice, with that sublime range, phrasing and great feel for jazz. A typically varied set too, including tunes by Ralph Towner, John Taylor and Joni Mitchell. One thing that struck me was her incredible timing and ability to hit some very unpredictable pitches on fast passages on unison with Lockheart. A super performance which got an excellent reception at the festival, one of the best over a very good 3 days.

Outstanding.  Thanks so much, sidewinder, for sharing your thoughts.

Winstone is something else!

46 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Outstanding.  Thanks so much, sidewinder, for sharing your thoughts.

Winstone is something else!

No problem !

I was just wondering as to when the previous occasion was that I saw Norma and have the feeling that it was with the recreated Michael Garrick lineup for a BBC broadcast which had the same band as ‘Troppo’. Best part of 15 years ago now. Not long before that I saw her at Northsea with Kenny Wheeler and Kenny Werner.

Henry Lowther was in that ‘Troppo’  lineup and as if by magic he was playing on Sunday night as part of a ‘Tribute to Humphrey Lyttelton’ large group. Henry in a more ‘traditional’ jazz style but good to see him in performance again in his 80s.

Time to give the Argo LP Of ‘Troppo’ a spin !

Edited by sidewinder