• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Coleman Hawkins 'Wrapped Tight' (Impulse). I heard this title for the first time yesterday in an audiophile shop where my table was getting fitted with a new cartridge. Sounded unbelieveable on an amazing system (think it was a Mark Levinson amp paired w/some $39 K pair of Linn speakers). I went out to a local vinyl shop today and found a clean copy for $10.....doesn't sound quite as amazing as it did on the 39k Linns...but it's definitely a crowd pleaser! :tup Anyone ever noticed the back of the cover? Both the gatefold copy I picked up today as well as the UK Impulse/Jasmine edition yesterday list Barry Harris as the bass player. :w

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Stan Levey 'Grand Stan' (UK London mono) - UK version of the Bethlehem LP

Hank Jones 'Have You Met Hank Jones' (UK London mono) - UK version of the Savoy LP

Stan Tracey Big Brass 'Seven Ages of Man' (UK Columbia Lansdowne stereo)

Stan Tracey Big Brass 'Alice In Jazzland' (UK Columbia Lansdowne stereo)

Acker Bilk with Stan Tracey Big Brass 'Blue Acker' (UK Columbia Lansdowne stereo)

Horace Silver 'Finger Poppin' (BN 47W63rd DG mono)

Jimmy Smith - Keep On Comin' - Electra Musician label

With Kenny Burrell, Johnny Griffin and Mike Baker.

and

Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery - Further Adventures of Jimmy and Wes -

Verve label.

Grady Tate on drums and Melba Liston playing her trombone, along with a flotilla of talent.

Great album.

Edited by patricia

Jesse Allen, James Von Streeter & his Wig Poppers, Little Miss Cornshucks, etc.: Jumpin' the Blues Vol. 3 - Decca sides, including Danny Taylor's "Coffee Daddy Blues"/"Blues Got Me Rockin'", with instrumental backing by tenor sax, organ, steel guitar, and bongos! Find another blues record with that instrumentation.

Jesse Allen, James Von Streeter & his Wig Poppers, Little Miss Cornshucks, etc.: Jumpin' the Blues Vol. 3 - Decca sides, including Danny Taylor's "Coffee Daddy Blues"/"Blues Got Me Rockin'", with instrumental backing by tenor sax, organ, steel guitar, and bongos! Find another blues record with that instrumentation.

Bongos on a blues record. That IS unusual. At least I've never heard them on a blues record.

Now I'm listening to "Spotlight On Ray Charles" - Ray Charles and his trio with the George Brown Orchestra - Stereo-Spectrum label recorded in 1962.

Edited by patricia