Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Charles Mingus 'Blue Bird' (America)

Those Americas, Blue Bird and Pithycanthropus Erectus, are actually pretty damn great. The title track to the former I used to spin all the time...

Those are favorites of mine also. That horn section (Charles McPherson, Bobby Jones, and Eddie Preston) is fine by me anytime.

Charles Mingus 'Blue Bird' (America)

That one and 'Pithycanthropus' will be going on deck later. :tup

It's a good one too. Good blowing session! Looks like a lot of people here enjoy these albums!

Now spinning:

Andrew Hill 'Black Fire' (BN, mono)

Edited by brownie

Freddie Hubbard 'Goin' Up' (BN 47W63rd DG mono). Forgot just how good this one was - Tyner, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe make one heck of a section. Two great Kenny Dorham compositions/arrangements on side 1 as well, as an added bonus. :tup

Followed by Andrew Hill 'Black Fire' (BN NY USA original stereo), in response to Brownie's inspiration.

Edited by sidewinder

Freddie Hubbard 'Goin' Up' (BN 47W63rd DG mono). Forgot just how good this one was - Tyner, Paul Chambers and Philly Joe make one heck of a section. Two great Kenny Dorham compositions/arrangements on side 1 as well, as an added bonus. :tup

Followed by Andrew Hill 'Black Fire' (BN NY USA original stereo), in response to Brownie's inspiration.

I traded a NY USA Stereo of that Hubbard long ago; remember liking it, but not as much as Open Sesame! Maybe now I would change my tune, however...

That is probably my favorite Andrew Hill record, by far!

John Heard & Co.: The Jazz Composer's Songbook...(Straightahead Records...2005) Interesting comments by Bernie Grundman(one of the labels owners) about how working at Contemporary Records in the 60's-70's has played a big part in the sound of this LP. Across the boards, this product oozes quality.

John Heard & Co.: The Jazz Composer's Songbook...(Straightahead Records...2005) Interesting comments by Bernie Grundman(one of the labels owners) about how working at Contemporary Records in the 60's-70's has played a big part in the sound of this LP. Across the boards, this product oozes quality.

I love John Heard. He's a friend and a great human being and a HELL of a bass player. I've heard John live several HUNDRED times and will be there tonight at Charlie O's hearing him again.

This is a nice record and John is proud of it--these weren't the tunes he WANTED to play--they were decided upon by the label, buit John was happy just to get the opportunity to record with what are pretty much the "Charlie O's Allstars." even though Danny is in New York now.

For all of you who want to support NEW music on VINYL, BUY THIS RECORD NOW!!

sarlp103qp.jpg

John Heard and Co.

I love John Heard. He's a friend and a great human being and a HELL of a bass player. I've heard John live several HUNDRED times and will be there tonight at Charlie O's hearing him again.

Wow - that's great to hear that John Heard is still very much musically active. Last time I saw him was nearly 30 years ago at Ronnie Scotts as part of Louis Bellson's 'Big Band Explosion' !