• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

81fJozkMbdL._SL1500_.jpg

Tony Aless - Long Island Suite (Roost)

The map on this is very helpful! All places I know of, but never knew where they really were.

And excellent music - little known, even though it has been issued on CD by Fresh Sound. Dave Schildkraut, Billy Bauer, J.J. Johnson & Kai Winding (not together) and others, with imaginative compositions/arrangements by Aless. Not earth-shaking, but really nice.

060099.jpg

The New Orleans All-Stars - In Concert at the Dixieland Jubilee (Dixieland Jubilee). It sounds like it could be pretty grim, but this is a very good album. Four excellent New Orleanians join three west coasters in a 1954 Pasadena concert. The Louisianans are the jazz pioneer Johnny St. Cyr on guitar, Raymond Burke (one of my favorite clarinetists), trombonist Jack Delaney, and the ill-fated trumpeter George Girard, who died two years later at the age of 26. Girard is at his best here. I've often wondered whether, if he had lived longer, he would have developed into an even more magnificent New Orleans trumpeter or turned into a Pete Fountain/Al Hirt-style pop/crossover artist. There are a few hints of that direction in his recorded output. But the six years or so of his recording career resulted in many impressive recordings; maybe I'll start a thread and write more about him.

Buglin' Sam Demekel appears on bugle and vocals on a few numbers - he had a horse-drawn waffle wagon in New Orleans, going back to the 1920s, and played jazz tunes on his bugle to attract customers. Even before he became a minor figure in New Orleans jazz in the 1950s, he was immortalized by a 1924 recording by Johnny Bayersdorffer's Jazzola Novelty Orchestra, "Waffle Man's Call."

$T2eC16ZHJIYE9qUcOu,eBRzezLoctw~~60_1.JP

Phil Zito - Dixieland Express (Columbia 10" LP). Phil Zito was a bombastic New Orleans drummer who had a talented young band when he recorded this album in 1949. This represents the recording debut of both George Girard and Pete Fountain; they were both 19 at the time. Girard is already very impressive.