What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

The_All_Seeing_Eye.jpg

Wayne Shorter--------The All seeing eye---------(BN Liberty)

A non RVG mastering if the runout is to be believed but it sounds stunning in this edition and a significant upgrade to my RVG CD.

That's good to hear. I was only looking at purchasing a vinyl copy this morning.

My copy has blue/ white labels rather than the later blue/black. Having said that I've no idea how many different pressings there are of this title.

thanks. now all I've got to do is find one (preferably not in US with those postal charges)

• Replies 56.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked up a stereo NY USA of the Shorter a year or so ago. Fine condition and cost me about £15 !

I thought I'd done similarly well getting an NY mono "Indestructible" for £9 last summer. I only realised last week that it was 'earless' so probably not such a bargain. Sounds good though.

Picked up a stereo NY USA of the Shorter a year or so ago. Fine condition and cost me about £15 !

I thought I'd done similarly well getting an NY mono "Indestructible" for £9 last summer. I only realised last week that it was 'earless' so probably not such a bargain. Sounds good though.

That's still a great price. That would be a Liberty-era pressing but, even so..

where do you two shop?!!

Not in London !

Best Blue Note original deal I ever came across was a Mobley 'No Room For Squares' mono original with ear for £5 ! The vinyl was fairly beat up but the sleeve was fine. Even in that state I suspect that the LP would have sounded pretty good, in retrospect, as Plastylite BN LPs are pretty well nuclear-proof in terms of their play-back resilience to surface damage. Like an idiot I passed on it and it was gone of course next time I went to the shop having reconsidered. It would have made a nice reserve copy if nothing else..

Most of my stuff comes from Alan Ross at Jazzhouserecords.

Recommended !

Alas re: community fairs, about the only credible offerings at the ones around here are home-made cakes etc.

Edited by sidewinder

Best Blue Note original deal I ever came across was a Mobley 'No Room For Squares' mono original with ear for £5 ! The vinyl was fairly beat up but the sleeve was fine. Even in that state I suspect that the LP would have sounded pretty good, in retrospect, as Plastylite BN LPs are pretty well nuclear-proof in terms of their play-back resilience to surface damage. Like an idiot I passed on it and it was gone of course next time I went to the shop having reconsidered. It would have made a nice reserve copy if nothing else..

Most of my stuff comes from Alan Ross at Jazzhouserecords.

Recommended !

Alas re: community fairs, about the only credible offerings at the ones around here are home-made cakes etc.

I've had a few lucky finds in terms of blue notes in local shops but not many. Best for me was finding an early 2nd issue of "something else" (has the little "r" under the Blue Note logo otherwise has all first press indicators) for $5.99 Canadian in a local college rock music store..was in mint condition too...maybe they thought it was a reissue?

GEORGEADAMSSOUNDSUGGESTIONS.jpg

George Adams - Sound Suggestions (ECM). Chosen because I wanted to hear not only George Adams, but Kenny Wheeler.

Does George sing on many tracks? I've always struggled with his vocals and have avoided this album just in case. That line-up's sure to deliver though

He sings one one blues - "Got Somethin' Good For You." I like his singing, but everyone's taste is different, of course.

Thanks Jeff.

now playing

Mal Waldron - The Quest [New Jazz]

You're not the only one with an aversion to George Adams' singing.

George Russell Sextet in K.C. (Decca). Actually they are in New York. Nice session with Dave Baker, Don Ellis and Dave Young.

I really like Baker's playing on "Jazz in the Space Age" but have not heard anything else. Recommendations?

My favourite record featuring Baker is George Russell Sextet at "The Five Spot," which, in a continuing theme from Russell's time at Decca, wasn't recorded where the title said it was. Great album, but the other Russells featuring Baker are all very good.

Thanks for the recommendations, everybody. Unfortunately I was confused - I was thinking of saxophonist Dave Young, not trombonist Dave Baker. Not that there's anything wrong with Dave Baker.

George Adams - Sound Suggestions (ECM). Chosen because I wanted to hear not only George Adams, but Kenny Wheeler.

Does George sing on many tracks? I've always struggled with his vocals and have avoided this album just in case. That line-up's sure to deliver though

He sings one one blues - "Got Somethin' Good For You." I like his singing, but everyone's taste is different, of course.

Thanks Jeff.

now playing

His singing on "Devil Blues" is ridiculous. Dude had cajones. Gotta give it to him even if it's hammy.

Thanks Jeff.

now playing

His singing on "Devil Blues" is ridiculous. Dude had cajones. Gotta give it to him even if it's hammy.

Ha ha, "hammy," I like that!

1000x1000.jpg

Sorry, could not find a smaller photo of this album.

Most of my stuff comes from Alan Ross at Jazzhouserecords but the Blakey was from a stall at a community fair.

I'll have to be quicker to read his monthly list next time then :)

Usually arrives when I am at work so guaranteed that the rarer stuff is gone by the time I've perused it !

Edited by sidewinder