• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Slint - Spiderland - (Touch & Go, from the boxed set reissue)

Classic album; bought the cassette when it was first released way back as I already had the Tweez LP and was a big fan of the Lousville scene eg.squirrelbait, bastro...

I just bought the more standard LP/DVD reissue set...it's a pretty funny documentary! Love the interviews with the parents haha

$_1.JPG

Young Tuxedo Brass Band - Jazz Continues (504). A lot of folks here seem to be fans of the Young Tuxedo's 1958 album Jazz Begins. This is their only other album, from 25 years later. Two members from 1958 were still in the band - alto saxophonist Herman Sherman (now the leader of the band) and trombonist Clement Tervalon. This album is not as sublime as the earlier one, but it's pretty good

GEORGEADAMSSOUNDSUGGESTIONS.jpg

George Adams - Sound Suggestions (ECM). Chosen because I wanted to hear not only George Adams, but Kenny Wheeler.

Does George sing on many tracks? I've always struggled with his vocals and have avoided this album just in case. That line-up's sure to deliver though

He sings one one blues - "Got Somethin' Good For You." I like his singing, but everyone's taste is different, of course.

I used to own that LP because of Wheeler's presence many years ago but got rid of it because I hardly played it and when I did the music did not really grab me. However I'd be curious to hear it again as it's been 10-15 years since I trimmed it from the collection...

I liked it right away - I've probably had it 30 years. It is an album that makes me understand some folks' qualms about ECM's approach to sound. The rhythm section sounds great - clear and detailed - while the saxophones (Heinz Sauer is the other one) are down in the mix and soft-edged. Not a fatal flaw to me, though - I still like it.

GEORGEADAMSSOUNDSUGGESTIONS.jpg

George Adams - Sound Suggestions (ECM). Chosen because I wanted to hear not only George Adams, but Kenny Wheeler.

Does George sing on many tracks? I've always struggled with his vocals and have avoided this album just in case. That line-up's sure to deliver though

He sings one one blues - "Got Somethin' Good For You." I like his singing, but everyone's taste is different, of course.

Thanks Jeff.

now playing

Mal Waldron - The Quest [New Jazz]