What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Chris Connor-------- A jazz date with Chris Conmor---------(London) sadly only in VG condition

One of Connor's best with a great band. I need Mosaic to come good with a box set of her Atlantic output.

Not a bad idea, but I think there's some stuff in amongst the real goodies which is only so-so - 'He loves me, he loves me not' has pretty boring arrangements by Ralph Burns, as I recall. I didn't get on with her first for Atlantic, either, but didn't play it enough to know why. The Gershwin twofer is a curate's egg, again going from memories of listening in the sixties. I never heard 'I miss you so', but I never felt that would be a goodie, so didn't get it.

The rest is various shades of wonderful!

I flogged all my Chris Connor albums at the end of the sixties, but have been forced to buy most of them again on CD. They don't get stale.

MG

The Gershwin album needed greater variety of pace. the arrangements are all pretty safe. Nothing daring but Chris sounds great and there are some great sidemen.

Yes, I think I agree with you on that. If I see a cheapo, I might give it another try.

MG

• Replies 56.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris Connor-------- A jazz date with Chris Conmor---------(London) sadly only in VG condition

One of Connor's best with a great band. I need Mosaic to come good with a box set of her Atlantic output.

Aren't quite a few of them now out in the Japanese 24-bit 1000 Yen series?

I suppose, for a few weeks :D

Japanese Chris Connor CDs aren't quite cheap enough for me, I think.

MG

skizoke+fr.jpg

SKIZOKE - Frank Lowe Sextet - Lowe (ts), Butch Morris (cornet), Damon Choice (vibes), Larry Simon (g), Wilbur Morris (b), Tim Pleasant (d). Cadence Jazz. 1981.

I think I like this one better than the Arista recordings, although certainly not so much as "The Flam" or "Dr. Too Much." Got to crank these Cadence LPs a bit to get the best out of it.

Coleman Hawkins Quartet, No Strings (Prestige stereo, Moodsville). Great recorded sound and stunning playing from the Hawk and her group.

Frank Wess, Southern Comfort (Prestige, Stereo, silver and black label, Status sticker on cover), fine date arranged by Oliver Nelson (who also performs in the ensemble but does not solo).

Really? I have a pristine German Liberty pressing with the "SRS..." stamp on side one but just the Liberty matrix number on side two. Is yours different? It is a classic record. I have original German issues of "Tago Mago", "Future Days", "Soundtracks" and "Ege Bamyasi" as well. My "Soon over Babaluma" is a UK UA pressing...all classic stuff!

alhibbler370732.jpg

This LP arrived today - it doesn't disappoint. Sympathetic backing from Buddy Tate (even pulling out his clarinet), Hank Jones, Milt Hinton,and Oliver Jackson; Hibbler's voice had aged a bit by then, but his very personal phrasing was still intact. Must have been a great day for him. He's the only singer whom I forgive his sometimes extremely wide vibrato.

Louis Moholo Octet - Spirits Rejoice! [Ogun]

today's arrival, rejoice indeed!

You could have had my vinyl! I only use the CD now.

One of my favourite Oguns (though be aware they have the titles on side 2 reversed on the LP cover - not that that will affect listening pleasure).

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Finaly got myself a very nice looking cocktail chair (I'm a sucker for this kind of furniture) last weekend, so I can sit comfortably near my turntable and listen to records with a headphone on in the evenings. Wasn't able to do that for way too long!

Got the following stacked up for this evening:

Dave Holland - Conference of The Birds (ECM)

Grachen Moncur III - Some Other Stuff (Blue Note)

Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs (Solid State)

Paul Bley - Open to Love ( ECM)

Louis Moholo Octet - Spirits Rejoice! [Ogun]

today's arrival, rejoice indeed!

You could have had my vinyl! I only use the CD now.

One of my favourite Oguns (though be aware they have the titles on side 2 reversed on the LP cover - not that that will affect listening pleasure).

Now he tells me! :) Happy to house any other redundant Oguns