Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ml7U8_sS3bOgDzk_z3OnEhQ.jpg

Rev. Jasper Williams - I'm Black and I'm Proud (Jewel). This tiny picture is the only one I could find online. The Magnificent Goldberg urged me to pick this one up when we visited Wax 'n' Fax record store in Atlanta, which always has a rack of unusual gospel LPs, a few years ago. This is a sermon recorded in 1968 by a master preacher from Atlanta, and it's an amazing performance.

next up........also a NY mono.

I've not listened to these two in a while and certainly not since replacing my damaged cartridge earlier this year. These two sound so much better now. My xx2 really digs the music out as well as tracking in the inner grooves well.

220px-Life_Time_(Tony_Williams_album).jp

XX-2. Great cartridge, mine has given great service, probably needs replacing now though. Those two Tony Williams Blue Notes are great too.

I mean, I would have pulled the trigger if I didn't get a reviewer's copy. It's not going to be sold out anytime soon.

The performance is staggering, definitely a little "rough" but so, so blistering and inventive. I've always liked Lowe's playing but never been laid out on the floor by his music. That has changed after hearing this set. Just mind-melting. I was just saying "fuck!" the whole time it was on the stereo.

I mean, I would have pulled the trigger if I didn't get a reviewer's copy. It's not going to be sold out anytime soon.

The performance is staggering, definitely a little "rough" but so, so blistering and inventive. I've always liked Lowe's playing but never been laid out on the floor by his music. That has changed after hearing this set. Just mind-melting. I was just saying "fuck!" the whole time it was on the stereo.

Thanks. Are you going to be doing a full-blown review? I guess it is priced like their Cecil double LP. That's a high $$ threshold for me to go to, but it sounds like this could be worth it.

Rev. Jasper Williams - I'm Black and I'm Proud (Jewel). This tiny picture is the only one I could find online. The Magnificent Goldberg urged me to pick this one up when we visited Wax 'n' Fax record store in Atlanta, which always has a rack of unusual gospel LPs, a few years ago. This is a sermon recorded in 1968 by a master preacher from Atlanta, and it's an amazing performance.

Is that the Rev. J.W. Williams Jr that did Clear Shining After Rain?

image_212628.jpg

If you pick up a copy of his Paula CD, 'I fell in love with a prostitute', which isn't too hard to get, I think, you'll be even MORE amazed. I think it was previously issued on a Jewel K7; NOT on LP; it's too long - 56 mins.

MG

Is that the Rev. J.W. Williams Jr that did Clear Shining After Rain?

image_212628.jpg

Yes, same guy. I think 'Clear shining' was his first recorded sermon. I don't think it's as good as 'Black & proud' but it's still top drawer stuff. But the message is the same as above; find 'I fell in love with a prostitute' for the ACME in the black art of oration.

Oh, looks like it was an LP

$T2eC16NHJGQFFhj0ff3UBSTelWp5lw~~60_35.J

Can't find a forum-friendly version of the Jewel CD, but it's out on an Atlanta International CD, viz:

$(KGrHqNHJCUFH6ZLUPDGBR+6Yt5f+g~~_35.JPG

MG

PS, you can get it from Amazon.com for $5-87

http://www.amazon.com/I-Fell-Love-With-Prostitute/dp/B0024F144K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410002426&sr=8-1&keywords=rev+jasper+williams+i+fell+in+love+with+a+prostitute

Chris Connor-------- A jazz date with Chris Conmor---------(London) sadly only in VG condition

One of Connor's best with a great band. I need Mosaic to come good with a box set of her Atlantic output.

Not a bad idea, but I think there's some stuff in amongst the real goodies which is only so-so - 'He loves me, he loves me not' has pretty boring arrangements by Ralph Burns, as I recall. I didn't get on with her first for Atlantic, either, but didn't play it enough to know why. The Gershwin twofer is a curate's egg, again going from memories of listening in the sixties. I never heard 'I miss you so', but I never felt that would be a goodie, so didn't get it.

The rest is various shades of wonderful!

I flogged all my Chris Connor albums at the end of the sixties, but have been forced to buy most of them again on CD. They don't get stale.

MG

Chris Connor-------- A jazz date with Chris Conmor---------(London) sadly only in VG condition

One of Connor's best with a great band. I need Mosaic to come good with a box set of her Atlantic output.

Not a bad idea, but I think there's some stuff in amongst the real goodies which is only so-so - 'He loves me, he loves me not' has pretty boring arrangements by Ralph Burns, as I recall. I didn't get on with her first for Atlantic, either, but didn't play it enough to know why. The Gershwin twofer is a curate's egg, again going from memories of listening in the sixties. I never heard 'I miss you so', but I never felt that would be a goodie, so didn't get it.

The rest is various shades of wonderful!

I flogged all my Chris Connor albums at the end of the sixties, but have been forced to buy most of them again on CD. They don't get stale.

MG

The Gershwin album needed greater variety of pace. the arrangements are all pretty safe. Nothing daring but Chris sounds great and there are some great sidemen.