Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arthur Blythe - Blythe Spirit [CBS]

revisiting after many years and I'm pleased I have, been too long. Such a great ensemble sound irrespective of some arresting solos

Love the variety on this one. Great record. I wish Mosaic or someone would re-release his CBS LPs in a CD box set.

duke_ellington___4fda9002e2db5.jpg

Duke Ellington - Ellington Indigos (Columbia stereo). The stereo issue is patently inferior to the mono issue, since one tune, "The Sky Fell Down," did not get recorded in stereo and is not included on the stereo album. But I still spin the stereo version occasionally, since a couple of the stereo takes are different from those used on the mono album.

115946427.jpg

Bought it one day, found out that it has been reissued by Wergo on CD the next, but then found out today that the Wergo CDs are all LP rips because the original masters are all lost, so break even in that regard.

Not so much breaking even in the cost department. Got a copy of this for next to nothing in the mid-70s (because I was so ready for new things), sold it for almost-nest to nothing in the late-70s (because I was so pure about from where those new things were needed to originate) and recently paid around $25.00 for the opportunity to have it again, because it's no longer about "new" or "where" as it is, just, is it right. At least for now, that's what it's about.

I have to say, I was right the first time I bought it - this shit is right. Her opening notes to Aria...are still magical. Looking at different versions on YouTube show the difference between a "performance artist" and a true artist. You can't fake pocket. Cathy Berberian had some deep pocket.

51f7xNcNG4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Jamming at Rudi's, Vol. 2 (Circle 10") I like this Kansas City-style jam session a lot - Hot Lips Page sounds really good here.

Again tonight, since I've pulled out the 10" LPs, and since I recently read that this album was influential for Roswell Rudd. (Tyree Glenn is the trombonist.)