What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Sorry, Stockhausen - Momente, the Nonesuch issue of the Wergo LP. The copy I got has too much surface noise, and I'm generally pretty workaroundsih about dealing with that. Can't do it with this one, though, just too much.

Martina Arroyo, though - damn. The whole ensemble, for that matter. Damn. Sometimes you hear records of "this type thing" from this time/place and it's like...they're not really getting it, are they (just got done with a Penderecki from 1967(?) on EMI that really felt like that), but no such concerns here. All in, already.

• Replies 56.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't know if I can tell if it's arroyo's voice per se that I like so much on the Stockhausen thing as it is the sheer confidence with which she asserts herself in every passage, but that recommendation looks interesting, and will be filed away as a future get. Thanks.

Drifting further - if you like Arroyo's voice, check out this:

51JPycFzNNL._SX425_.jpg

Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but the version of Barber's Adagio for Strings on this album made me cry when I heard it in a record store about 15 years ago. Of course I bought the CD, even though I already had two or three versions of the piece on CDs.

Sorry, Stockhausen - Momente, the Nonesuch issue of the Wergo LP. The copy I got has too much surface noise, and I'm generally pretty workaroundsih about dealing with that. Can't do it with this one, though, just too much.

Martina Arroyo, though - damn. The whole ensemble, for that matter. Damn. Sometimes you hear records of "this type thing" from this time/place and it's like...they're not really getting it, are they (just got done with a Penderecki from 1967(?) on EMI that really felt like that), but no such concerns here. All in, already.

I really like that version of Momente. It has a liveliness to it that I find lacking in the "Europa Version 1972".

15962-enter.jpg

ENTER - Fire Orchestra - Rune Grammofon 2LP

3 vocalists singing together and separately against a humongous free orchestra. The LP labels are a solid color with no markings; give the impression that the LP is not moving, which can be a bit dicy when puttering around the TT. You're also not going to be able to refer to Side A or C or whatever; since none of them are marked, one can assume they can be played in any order.

15962-enter.jpg

3 vocalists singing together and separately against a humongous free orchestra. The LP labels are a solid color with no markings; give the impression that the LP is not moving, which can be a bit dicy when puttering around the TT. You're also not going to be able to refer to Side A or C or whatever; since none of them are marked, one can assume they can be played in any order.

Any good or chaotic mess. I rather liked Exit .

15962-enter.jpg

Nothing in the runoff area? Gotta be a matrix # for each side?

15962-enter.jpg

Any good or chaotic mess. I rather liked Exit .

I rather like chaotic messes, but this double set is not a chaotic mess; indeed, rather well-behaved really, although there are moments when the big engine gets revved up to satisfying effect. The emphasis has shifted to the vocalists; there is almost a prog rock feeling. I think it's good, even very good, but on first listen, I like Fire! Exit! more; seemed more exciting, more focused. I need to hear this again to ascertain (or not) my initial impressions. There was a lot to listen to here.

Nothing in the runoff area? Gotta be a matrix # for each side?

Yeah, I did look there (habit from RVG days ^_^ ); there is a pressing number but not clearly a side number. I just think it's one of Mats' little jokes, and serves to emphasize the open nature of the recording. I really think you can play it in any order; the sides strike me as self-contained. The LPs come with a CD, which identifies Parts 1-4, so I suppose that could be used as a guide. BTW, This is not the first time Mats has used blank labels recently, although I can't remember which album it was. Weird optical effect.

"Flute Flight" --Prestige 7124

One side with Herbie Mann, Bobby Jaspar, Joe Puma, Tommy Flanagan, Wendell Marshall, and Bobby Donaldson; other side with Jaspar, Eddie Costa on vibes, Flanagan, Doug Watkins, and Donaldson. I prefer Jaspar to Mann, though Herbie is OK here. Fine solo work from Puma and Costa, and Doug Watkins is in exceptional form, generating tremendous subtle swing by at times anticipating/playing into the next change. I've thought of that as mostly a Paul Chambers move (albeit Freddie Green did it with the old Basie band), but Watkins, a fellow Detroiter of course, is all over it here. It's especially noticeable because his intonation is more precise than Chambers', but then I'm fairly sure that Paul often played "between the cracks" for analogous harmonic/rhythmic reasons. Sessions were produced by "O.C." (i.e. Ozzie Cadena), not Bob Weinstock. Anyone know how often that was the case at Prestige?

220px-Flute_Flight.jpg

Flute Flight, prompted by Larry's post. I found this one a little while back, and like it, too. Sure, Mann was never an improvisational genius, but this is a long way from his Shirtless Rock Guy days.

I associate Ozzie Cadena with Savoy, but I have several Prestige albums he produced, including a couple of Willis Jacksons and albums by Curtis Fuller, Bud Freeman, and Roy Haynes.

paulbarbarinandhisneworleansjazzband.pau

Paul Barbarin - New Orleans Jamboree (Jazztone). Recorded a couple of weeks before Barbarin's more well-known 1955 Atlantic album. This is nearly as good, hampered only by the fact the the only bass is provided by pianist Lester Santiago's left hand. (Atlantic wisely added Milt Hinton to the band.)

And I don't know how widely recognized it is, but clarinetist Willie Humphrey (1900-1994) was a particularly talented and individual improviser. His musical language was, of course, more conservative than Charlie Parker's, but he exhibited a similar flexibility of phrase shapes and lengths, and was at times as unpredictable as Bird. I saw him perform in New Orleans three months before his death - it was pretty great.

Marion Brown - Solo Saxophone - (Sweet Earth)

Nice one!

Jazz West Coast Vol. 3-------( Vogue UK)- ex Pacific

Classic cover with a diver coming of the water with a trident and trumpet. Great set of tunes including Too Marvellous for Words by Phil Urso/Bob Burgess - a track which by all accounts hasn't seen too many issues.

Hank Mobley "soul station" (music matters, 33rpm blue note)

Grant Green "idle moments" (as above)

With the arrival of my second baby I have just a few hours to unwind tonight so even though I have an abundance of free/avant garde etc vinyl in the collection I am totally craving just some classic (and good sounding) jazz! Goes great with a few super cold beers too ;)