What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Pharoah & the Underground - Primative Jupiter [Clean Feed]

with Rob Mazurek, Pharoah Sanders, Chad Taylor, Matthew Lux, Mauricio Takara, Guiherme Granado

first spin. first impressions are good music let down by seemingly muddy live recording

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 56.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51aSvAvjHxL._SY300_.jpg

Sonny Berman - Beautiful Jewish Music (Onyx). For those who don't know this one, it's a 1946 jam session by mostly Woody Herman band members in Jerry Newman's apartment - so of course it got recorded. Berman doesn't get any more solo space than anyone else, but he's the most interesting soloist.

img_2244.jpg

The Nashville All-Stars - After the Riot at Newport (RCA Victor mono). Hank Garland, Chet Atkins, Boots Randolph, Floyd Cramer, a 17-year-old Gary Burton, and more. Garland is excellent, as is Burton, even at his age. Boots Randolph is not a bad jazz player; unfortunately, that can't be said of Cramer and Atkins.

And a cool Jim Flora cover.

This wasn't Gary Burton's recording debut, though. Ten points to anyone who knows what that was - and you won't find it in any jazz discographies.

img_2244.jpg

The Nashville All-Stars - After the Riot at Newport (RCA Victor mono). Hank Garland, Chet Atkins, Boots Randolph, Floyd Cramer, a 17-year-old Gary Burton, and more. Garland is excellent, as is Burton, even at his age. Boots Randolph is not a bad jazz player; unfortunately, that can't be said of Cramer and Atkins.

This wasn't Gary Burton's recording debut, though. Ten points to anyone who knows what that was - and you won't find it in any jazz discographies.

I know he recorded as a sideman with Hank Garland, but I don't know if that was his recording debut. That would be too easy, so probably not.

I know he recorded as a sideman with Hank Garland, but I don't know if that was his recording debut. That would be too easy, so probably not.

Maybe I should give all the contestants more time, but...

The next time you hear Floyd Cramer's "Last Date," notice the tasteful vibraphone playing in the background. That would be young Mr. Burton. In a Cadence interview about ten years ago he said that was his first recording.

188576.JPG

whoa....

forgot about that one.

Just now discovering Cage's early works. Have to admit, I'm more than a little stunned at the visceralness of them, how rhythmically driven they are. The "connections" I get to things from 20-30 years later (from Cecil - 88 tuned drums, indeed) to Max's melodic drum solos to Herbie's electronic music to Brian Wilson's drugged-out deadened piano & reverbs to the AACM's "space" pieces, and that's just for starters) are really startling to confront, to say nothing of the impact of the music strictly as its own self.

Are there any more empathetic performances of this material that those of Kirtsein here? Hard for me to imagine that there are, but I don't know enough to imagine that with any true confidence.