• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bitching about prices aside, I do want to grab that Wooley LP.

btw, Leeway, there is a Texas-based tape label called Astral Spirits getting off the ground soon and their first release is by Icepick: Wooley, Corsano & Haker-Flaten.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll check it out.

251152224545.jpg

Evan Parker - At the Finger Palace (The Beak Doctor)

I gave that one a spin yesterday as well. One of my favourites. I also like the duet record he did with Greg Goodman around the same time.

You probably know but I'll just throw it out here, that the "Vaincu. Va! Live at the Western Front" was recorded within a week of "Finger Palace," i.e., Parker is playing at the same high level on both.

That is a nice one, too. I was at the album release concert where Parker performed in the same venue. Hope that one gets released some day.

Xenakis "persepolis" (Philips, France)

Not easy listening but I find it totally fascinating. I could say the same thing about the La Monte Young albums I have...not stuff I play very often but when I do it's definitely a unique sound world that I am exposed to.

btw, Leeway, there is a Texas-based tape label called Astral Spirits getting off the ground soon and their first release is by Icepick: Wooley, Corsano & Haker-Flaten.

251152224545.jpg

I gave that one a spin yesterday as well. One of my favourites. I also like the duet record he did with Greg Goodman around the same time.

You probably know but I'll just throw it out here, that the "Vaincu. Va! Live at the Western Front" was recorded within a week of "Finger Palace," i.e., Parker is playing at the same high level on both.

That is a nice one, too. I was at the album release concert where Parker performed in the same venue. Hope that one gets released some day.

I sat right next to Mr.Clugston at this show and agree it was a fantastic show :)

Michael Garrick 'Poetry and Jazz In Concert 250' (Argo, 2LP)

4187444.jpg

It is only now that I realized this is a different set from the other Argo double LP of Poetry and Jazz in Concert. So that means I need it too...

Yep, the other 'Poetry and Jazz' is studio recordings originally issued on two separate LPs. This one is a live performance at the RFH issued as a box set. There's a copy up on Amazon if interested !

Edited by sidewinder

T19206-0_5.jpg

Paddock Jazz Band (Biograph). Basically Papa Celestin's band after his death, recorded at the Paddock on Bourbon Street in 1953. Always interesting to hear clarinetist Alphonse Picou, who had been around pretty much since the beginning.

Later: I did search, and realized that I made the same mistake the last time I posted about this album - Celestin was still alive in 1953. In any case, the excellent Alvin Alcorn is in the trumpet chair here.

Edited by jeffcrom

ah looks like Craig Moerer is selling it. I'll ask him - wonder if the box is hacked or reasonable?

If it's in good nick it's worth getting. My copy's not bad but it did see service in a UK public library before I got it (somewhere in the SE) :wacko:

Edited by sidewinder

Xenakis "persepolis" (Philips, France)

Not easy listening but I find it totally fascinating. I could say the same thing about the La Monte Young albums I have...not stuff I play very often but when I do it's definitely a unique sound world that I am exposed to.

251152224545.jpg

I sat right next to Mr.Clugston at this show and agree it was a fantastic show :)

We had front row seats, which made for some interesting psychoacoustic phenomena. Plus he briefly covered a Monk tune!

Live_in_London_%28Deep_Purple_album%29.j

Deep Purple, Live in London. I love Burn-era Deep Purple. Too bad they couldn't build on it.

2031435.jpg

Steve Lacy/Evan Parker, Chirps (FMP). In honour of Lacy's birthday yesterday.

ken_colyer%27s_jazzmen-new_orleams_to_lo

Ken Colyer - New Orleans to London (London 10"). My cover is very similar to this UK Decca pressing. Colyer is my favorite European New Orleans-style musician - which seems like a strange category for an American to have a favorite in. But I'm a fan. So there ya go.