Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sam Rivers & Mario Schiano - Rendez-vous [Vedette/Red Records]

thanks to Leeway for posting this a while back and alerting me to its existence. Copy duly chased down and it's a great listen

Glad you are enjoying it!

I am again right now! interesting to hear the first side is more 'inside' than I'd imagined ths combination producing and then you flip and get what i was expecting. That's not to say Side 1 isn't anything but great playing

John Stevens' Folkus - the Life of Riley [Affinity]

What do you think of this one? Is it a collective/group performance with certain instruments featured on each track, or Stevens in duo/trio with various performers?

It's a lovely album. It's almost exclusively Ensemble with featured players on particular tracks - stand outs for me would be Nigel Moyse on acoustic guitar, Paul Rutherford trombone and Simon Picard on tenor. It has some very hummable themes that do have a folkish lilt to them with a marching band motif from the brass heavy ensemble often showing through - but it's an English marching band from years gone by and in no way martial.

Listening tonight I've heard some connection to SME's Oliv but i can't quite pin that down it just seems to be the obvious LP to put on next.

If you like brassy ensemble playing, good tunes and fine solos I think you'll like it. It's probbaly the least 'out' Stevens LP I have but no bad thing for that.

and now playing....Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Oliv [Polydor]

Edited by mjazzg