• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Amancio D'Silva et al - 'Cosmic Eye Dream Sequence' (Regal Zonophone)

cover.jpg

Holy crap...

Now, and pedestrian by comparison:

Louis Moholo/Larry Stabbins/Keith Tippett - Tern - (SAJ)

I'm pretty sure ol' sidewinder has Homefromtheforest nearly beat on the rarities front (or at least they're neck-and-neck).

as usual, Cliffie confuses scarcity with value.

Well Clifford I'm sure sidewinder does have me beat! I don't have that cosmic eye lp but from the samples I've heard I'm not so sure I'd pay big bucks for it..didn't strike me as too amazing...interesting yes but not something I'd play very much I think.

Chuck you are right of course...rare does not guarantee good but I must say a lot of the "rare" records in my collection are quite good and in many cases some of my favorites by the artist in question. For example I find the two mid-70s Japanese only group records("stalks" and "the wire") by Steve Lacy to be among his very best group efforts.

Btw "people in sorrow" on the Nessa label was the first free jazz album I ever bought as a mid-teen after being first exposed to John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Thelonious Monk. I played that record a lot and now have a Pathe Marconi issue of it in my collection which is so much better because it's rare ;)

not spinning it, but its not a 'great find' either....lol @ boris rose ''completely selling out'' lol- he also has some judy garland releases too. i dont know about you, but i definetly find multiple lols in that, that the same guy who releases bird at cafe society 1950, twenty-minute version of lover come back to me, released something so "pop".

post-3075-0-25068800-1371530707_thumb.jp

Well Clifford I'm sure sidewinder does have me beat! I don't have that cosmic eye lp but from the samples I've heard I'm not so sure I'd pay big bucks for it..didn't strike me as too amazing...interesting yes but not something I'd play very much I think.

The 'Cosmic Eye' is a sort of dreamy prog-jazz album, very British I guess and very much of its early-70s time - I'm a big fan of John Mayer and Amancio D'Silva collaborations and Lansdowne Series in general though so wouldn't want to do without it. Never been out on an official CD release either - not sure if there is a problem with tape availability.

In a way, it is not so much an Amancio D'Silva album - more a John Mayer album. Conceptual similarities with his 'Rahda Krishna'.

Edited by sidewinder

Amancio D'Silva et al - 'Cosmic Eye Dream Sequence' (Regal Zonophone)

cover.jpg

Holy crap...

Now, and pedestrian by comparison:

Louis Moholo/Larry Stabbins/Keith Tippett - Tern - (SAJ)

I'm pretty sure ol' sidewinder has Homefromtheforest nearly beat on the rarities front (or at least they're neck-and-neck).

as usual, Cliffie confuses scarcity with value.

I don't see that in Clifford's post. His statement is clearly about scarcity - you infer the value is mentioned, it isn't as i read it.

Everyone chooses to purchase on their own terms and so should it remain as it really doesn't effect anyone else

000a06df_medium.jpeg

I'm very happy to say I was there.

Lucky you! I revisited the LP after a number of years and enjoyed it a great deal. I was struck by the rhythm section as much as anything else. The liner notes seem to suggest it was a lengthy concert with more than on these four sides - I'm not aware of more of it being released, are you?

000a06df_medium.jpeg

Lucky you! I revisited the LP after a number of years and enjoyed it a great deal. I was struck by the rhythm section as much as anything else. The liner notes seem to suggest it was a lengthy concert with more than on these four sides - I'm not aware of more of it being released, are you?

Perhaps no edits on the CD?

LP (according to discogs.com):

A1Jas Van (For James VanDerzee)15:06, A2Home (Part 1)8:00, BSecret Of The Circle19:03, C1Home (Part 2)8:40, C2Murray's Steps15:23, DConcion De Amor En Espanol (Spanish Love Song)23:20

1999 CD (from my own collection):

Disc 1 JasVan (20.01), Home (16.20), Secret of the Circle (21.27), Nairobia (17.30)

Disc 2 Flowers for Albert (28.57), Murray's Steps (17.34), Concion de Amor en Espanol (23.40)

Back cover indicates Nairobia and Flowers for Albert were previously unreleased.

Edited by erwbol

000a06df_medium.jpeg

A1Jas Van (For James VanDerzee)15:06, A2Home (Part 1)8:00, BSecret Of The Circle19:03, C1Home (Part 2)8:40, C2Murray's Steps15:23, DConcion De Amor En Espanol (Spanish Love Song)23:20

Disc 1 JasVan (20.01), Home (16.20), Secret of the Circle (21.27), Nairobia (17.30)

Disc 2 Flowers for Albert (28.57), Murray's Steps (17.34), Concion de Amor en Espanol (23.40)

Back cover indicates Nairobia and Flowers for Albert were previously unreleased.

Thank you. I'd forgotten there'd been a CD release. Those timings add up to about two hours thirty - a lot of music

Edited by mjazzg

000a06df_medium.jpeg

Thank you. I'd forgotten there'd been a CD release. Those timings add up to about two hours thirty - a lot of music

My guess is the cd is complete. It was a very long concert and I was getting distinctly fidgety towards the end (despite the quality of the music). I didn't fancy spending a night on a railway station. It was our first exposure to Murray in the UK. A pretty good debut

Hi sidewinder..do you have the Clem Alford and Garuda lps? I have these and they have connections to the lansdowne series.

I do like the Joe harriott/John Mayer lps on lansdowne and hey I would of course love to have that cosmic eye lp!! Though I think I'd rather spend the big bucks(if I ever had them now anymore with a wife and baby!!) on "shades of blue" and complete my rendell/Carr 5tet collection :)

Hi sidewinder..do you have the Clem Alford and Garuda lps? I have these and they have connections to the lansdowne series.

I do like the Joe harriott/John Mayer lps on lansdowne and hey I would of course love to have that cosmic eye lp!! Though I think I'd rather spend the big bucks(if I ever had them now anymore with a wife and baby!!) on "shades of blue" and complete my rendell/Carr 5tet collection :)

Blimey - never even heard of that 'Garuda' LP. I always thought it was just a dodgy Indonesian airline ! :crazy:

Have not heard the Clem Alford Lps either ('Electronic Sitar Of..', 'Mirror Image') and I guess Bass player Toni Campo is the other connection to the 'Magic Eye' LP.

Will look out for them..

'Shades of Blue' - Highly recommended. Sell the furniture and live on bread and jam to get hold of a copy (but maybe not sell the wife and kids ^_^ ).

Edited by sidewinder

Although I love LPs and indeed 78s I will not pay high sums for anything, no matter how rare. It just doesn't make sense to me when there's much cheaper stuff to be had. Now i'm not suggesting only buying Membran issues and the like but for me it's got to be the music first and the format second.