• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-150-4258756-1359944234-8341.jpeg

Karl Berger - We are you [Trio, Japan]

anyone know the connection between Calig and Trio? I'm assuming this LP was originally Calig released and licensed by Trio. Damn fine music either which way

Yeah, it originally appeared on Calig with the following front cover (the Trio jacket is an image from the back that has been tinted).

115967851.jpg

As far as licensing goes, I believe that Trio would have gotten the rights from Berger. No other Calig jazz LPs have Japanese pressings that I've seen, but Trio issued other Berger-related sessions dating to that time period (Muun Music Universe, Kalaparusha/Karl Berger LP). Interestingly, this Calig date came out on CD via Enja, which also released an excellent '70s Karl Berger session called With Silence.

R-150-4258756-1359944234-8341.jpeg

Karl Berger - We are you [Trio, Japan]

anyone know the connection between Calig and Trio? I'm assuming this LP was originally Calig released and licensed by Trio. Damn fine music either which way

Yeah, it originally appeared on Calig with the following front cover (the Trio jacket is an image from the back that has been tinted).

115967851.jpg

As far as licensing goes, I believe that Trio would have gotten the rights from Berger. No other Calig jazz LPs have Japanese pressings that I've seen, but Trio issued other Berger-related sessions dating to that time period (Muun Music Universe, Kalaparusha/Karl Berger LP). Interestingly, this Calig date came out on CD via Enja, which also released an excellent '70s Karl Berger session called With Silence.

Thanks Clifford - I thought you might be the man for the enquiry. Does the Calig have extensive notes? there's lots of Japanese on my insert and I'm intrigued.

I'm a fan of the Enja and the MMU LPs and would love to hear/afford the Kalaparusha

merril_hele_helenmerr_109b.jpg

Helen Merrill John Lewis- (Mercury)- cool. calm and a lot to like here. Still think I prefer Chris Connor but it's a well judged program of material.

next ..

Johnny Hodges- Rippin' & Runnin' (Verve ) UK stereo original with Freddie Waits and Jimmy Ponder- just so groovy. Great fun and real blast to listen to all the way through. Love it.

Johnny-Hodges-Rippin-And-Runnin-443861.j

and following that some non jazz , but this is really slick stuff

Jefferson-Airplane-After-Bathing-At-3801

After Bathing at Baxters --(Victor) again UK original which sounds epic played loud on the headphones.

Edited by Clunky

vintage_dolphy.jpg

Eric Dolphy: Vintage Dolphy (GM)

Overall, relatively minor Dolphy, although his "Iron Man" improvisation is impressive. The third stream cuts are not my thing, although I can imagine that others might enjoy them more than I. The "Donna Lee" jam strikes me as pretty much a curiosity.

I was annoyed with Martin Williams' liner notes. I can take his stuffiness, but his unwarranted attack on John Coltrane turned me off completely. A good critic doesn't build up one musician (Dolphy) by attempting to tear down another (Coltrane). And it's especially noxious when the two musicians were good friends. I guess it was just another uncalled for attempt by Williams to justify his dislike for Coltrane's music.

Williams might have used the space to give his readers some information on Edward Armour who plays trumpet on the Dolphy Quartet sides and who, except for a few recording sessions, is a relative unknown, at least to me.

This afternoon

6d91532de06aa65feaf4bd504c92ae02.jpg

Horace Silver - Silver's serenade - BN (Liberty stereo)

43201004.jpg

Willis Jackson - Please Mr Jackson - Prestige (OJC Stereo)

This evening

$(KGrHqV,!g0FC111PtDvBR!bGd)81g~~60_35.J

Mighty Gospel Giants of New York - Our way - Nashboro

Now

LPRGIA4340.gif

Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson - From South Africa to South Carolina - Arista

next

746850.jpg

Bobby Timmons - Chicken & dumplin's - Prestige (Transatlantic UK Stereo)

MG