• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah! I like it too, Sidewinder. At the time, the British jazz I was listening to seemed to swing more than the US jazz, a lot of which was hard bop which had become tired.

Strangely though, Mike has confirmed that he doesn't much like this album. Personally, I love it ! It seems to successfully soak in some of the rock, soul and folk influences of the time.

I think the soloing is terrific, even if the "poppiness" of the arrangements threw me for a loop on 1st listen. Love to MO, and Nisar Ahmed/George Khan is a seldom-heard light on the UK scene.

8475.jpg

There might be something I've been missing, but I really can't get into a lot of his "vocal" work. I think he's a fine poet and songwriter--and a vibrant proto-rapper--but this album is one of those instances for me where about half of the interpretations, heartfelt as they are, really don't click. I like "Pieces of A Man". tho.

8475.jpg

There might be something I've been missing, but I really can't get into a lot of his "vocal" work. I think he's a fine poet and songwriter--and a vibrant proto-rapper--but this album is one of those instances for me where about half of the interpretations, heartfelt as they are, really don't click. I like "Pieces of A Man". tho.

I like his first 3 or so albums on Flying Dutchman (including the one listed above), but he gets boring after that as far as I'm concerned. I have no negative words to say about his Flying Dutchman output, though.

In his defense, EVERYBODY started to suck royally around 1975, so I can't hold him responsible.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Warren Bernhardt - Floating (Arista) 1978

The Best of Charles Lloyd (Atlantic) 1966, released 1969

Jean-Luc Ponty - Live (Atlantic) 1979

John Coltrane - My Favorite Things (Atlantic) 1960?

The Leon Thomas Album (Flying Dutchman) 1970?

Back Door (Warner Bros.) 1972

Gerry Mulligan - Something Borrowed Something Blue (Limelight) 1966?

It's Freddy Robinson's birthday today so, as a special treat for me, I'm playing

Off the cuff - Enterprise (orig)

Very laid back Blues/R&B album which I don't play enough. Think I'll get this out a bit more often.

(David Newman's and Eddie Chamblee's birthdays to be celebrated on vinyl later - sure is a good day for birthdays!)

MG

Bernie_Green_Futura.jpg

By far the best album in RCA's "Stereo Action" series.

The concept of this 1961 LP? "What will popular music sound like in the year 1970?" And, of course, the WWII era guys involved, imagining a clean, Danish Modern future in which technology would solve our problems, came up with stuff WAY more interesting than anything heard at Woodstock. They couldn't have imagined a future controlled by unwashed hippies.

Bernie_Green_Futura.jpg

By far the best album in RCA's "Stereo Action" series.

The concept of this 1961 LP? "What will popular music sound like in the year 1970?" And, of course, the WWII era guys involved, imagining a clean, Danish Modern future in which technology would solve our problems, came up with stuff WAY more interesting than anything heard at Woodstock. They couldn't have imagined a future controlled by unwashed hippies.

"Sound your eyes can follow" - I love that :g

playing

David Newman - Front money - WB orig

MG

Some Gospel stuff

Rev Isaac Douglas & the Charles Fold Singers - Live in concert - AVI reissue

Rev W Leo Daniels - Looking for a bargain (sermon) - Peacock ABC issue orig

Willie Banks & the Messengers - Heaven must be a beautiful place - Peacock ABC issue orig (this has a Songbird master number scratched out and the correct Peacock number written in :) )

MG