What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

paul weston-the music of jerome kern----a columbia treasure

I'm curious, how are the arrangments? Of the Paul Weston I've heard, I've found he is best with singers.

is tender restrained mood(elevator) music of standards, with huge hollywood string heavy orchestras, often with masterful jazz soloists. i am addicted to the stuff.(i have probably 10 or 15 such albums.

weston was the music director of columbia records for years and married to one of the best vocalists ever, jo stafford.

crescent city, an homage to new orleans from the mid 50's, similarly orchestrated, heavily hued with jazz, bowing deeply to the musical traditions of new orleans, is an absolutely gorgeous work, for those of us who love that sort of thing.

Thanks. He was also one of the founders of Capitol Records. His Capitol album "Music for Fireside" is considered to be one of the first ever mood/EZ albums recorded. (Hard to believe someone had to invent this genre, it seems so ubiquitous!).

Yes, Jo Stafford is a great singer, and somewhat overlooked these days. I love Weston's arrangements on her Columbia album "Broadway's Best." Some would say they're dated by today's standards, but they are quite beautiful.

i believe westons first hollywood arrangements were for the movie holiday inn which i love dearly.

• Replies 56.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a reissue that I know of... it surfaces on eBay now and then for not too many bills.

It was billed as an "exotica" record (MFP was a UK subsidiary of EMI, offering cheap bachelor pad hits and so forth), and it's got a bit more of a light, easy swing to it than the Harriot sides which, to me, have a bit more of an unruly edge. I like this one a lot, though - it's very groovy!

Not a reissue that I know of... it surfaces on eBay now and then for not too many bills.

It was billed as an "exotica" record (MFP was a UK subsidiary of EMI, offering cheap bachelor pad hits and so forth), and it's got a bit more of a light, easy swing to it than the Harriot sides which, to me, have a bit more of an unruly edge. I like this one a lot, though - it's very groovy!

I sense that in the Harriott sides, too, which are (IMO) too often panned as distractions (at worst, indulgent experimentalism). I think a lot of it has to do with Harriott the saxophonist, but all those dark corners and acrid grooves aren't that far off from his "jazzier" work. I'm interested in hearing this one, too.

For those who have an opinion (which I always thought was an advantage of this thread over its "what are you listening to right now?" counterpart)--what do you think of Harriott's (sparse) sideman appearances (i.e., Black Marigolds)?

Indo-British Ensemble - Curried Jazz (MFP orig)

Great meeting of Indian music and jazz with Kenny Wheeler, Jeff Clyne, Bill Eyden and Ray Swinfield.

:tup

Never heard of this! Is there a reiussue? Anything like the Joe Harriott albums?

It's just come out on CD here in the UK. Look out also for the one by the 'Indo Jazzmen' on Saga.

Those MFP albums were like K-Tel - you used to be able to get them in Woolworths and the like for about £0.50 in the late 60s/early 80s. Saga, Studio 2 etc were others. Lots of cheesy 'Top of the Pops' cover compilations (worth buying just for the babes on the front covers).