• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Pim said:

IMG-8632.jpg

Very happy with this reissue. My 80’s OJC copy sounded great but had a huge scratch that was very audible. This remains a ‘60’s jazz classic and definitely Mal’s best pre-breakdown record. 

👍 - my German copy from 1972 ...

Dolphy The Quest (Copy).jpg

ODktMTcyMS5qcGVn.jpeg

Isaiah Collier & The Chosen Few - The Almighty [Division 81 Records, USA 2024]

I think Collier has something about his playing that sets him apart from his contemporaries, the more I hear him, the more I think this. It's all within a very definite tradition but it sounds fresher in his hands tahn others. The Chosen Few are maturing nicely too I think.

3 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

ODktMTcyMS5qcGVn.jpeg

Isaiah Collier & The Chosen Few - The Almighty [Division 81 Records, USA 2024]

I think Collier has something about his playing that sets him apart from his contemporaries, the more I hear him, the more I think this. It's all within a very definite tradition but it sounds fresher in his hands tahn others. The Chosen Few are maturing nicely too I think.

That's interesting. I've seen him live with Kahil El'Zabar and I wasn't so too impressed, but I'm happy to hear that he is moving in a more interesting direction. 

I'll give this a go.

52 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

That's interesting. I've seen him live with Kahil El'Zabar and I wasn't so too impressed, but I'm happy to hear that he is moving in a more interesting direction. 

I'll give this a go.

Which is in itself interesting as I saw him with El'Zabar too, at Ronnies and was very impressed but he wasn't playing in full-on mode which he is here.  This isn't any major diversion from the Church Of Trane path he's been walking but it's more focussed and developed than earlier & Chosen Few albums that I thought were both slavish and sprawling, this is less of both to my ears.

The interesting but not wholly successful diversion was his 'Parallel Universe' album.

Now onto, just as everyone else has

OS04NTc2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Mal Waldron - The Quest [New Jazz, USA 1962, possibly 1963 RE]

Edited by mjazzg