• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Hope it's living up to expectations!

It's a great record! I knew that before but it is nice to own it. 

I confess that I was slightly motivated by comedian Stewart Lee listing his copy as his most prized possession. I remember friends who were reading his book when it came out (maybe a decade and a half ago now) asking me about the record.

It was the last one available on Discogs and eventually I just caved.

It always felt bizarre to own Topography and not this one, given that this is really the grand classique.

Edited by Rabshakeh

44 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's a great record! I knew that before but it is nice to own it. 

I confess that I was slightly motivated by comedian Stewart Lee listing his copy as his most prized possession. I remember friends who were reading his book when it came out (maybe a decade and a half ago now) asking me about the record.

It was the last one available on Discogs and eventually I just caved.

It always felt bizarre to own Topography and not this one, given that this is really the grand classique.

I didn't know that about Lee, I did know he's a big Evan believer.

Glad it's found such a loving home!

I hear Topography and Karyobin as ying and yang in a way, two sides of the UK scene at the time. Stevens always seems slightly removed from the more demonstrative approach as on Topography.

Both complete classics notwithstanding.

I should listen to them again, back to back and probably discover what I've just written is a load of bunkum...

9 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I didn't know that about Lee, I did know he's a big Evan believer.

I think it is in that autobiography that he released in the late 00s. Rather slapdash but made a big impact at the time. 

9 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I hear Topography and Karyobin as ying and yang in a way, two sides of the UK scene at the time. Stevens always seems slightly removed from the more demonstrative approach as on Topography.

I see Karyobin as the Shape of European Free Improv to Come and Topography as Spiritual Unity, Euro Free Improv edition.

14 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I think it is in that autobiography that he released in the late 00s. Rather slapdash but made a big impact at the time. 

I see Karyobin as the Shape of European Free Improv to Come and Topography as Spiritual Unity, Euro Free Improv edition.

I'll go with that comparison